Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Bubble hand on the button

Here is the situation. 9 players left 8 places pay. Chip leader has around 120K average stack is 40K. Blinds are 1000/2000 with a 300 ante. I am short stacked with T6000 on the button the SB has T20000 and the BB T6400 after posting. There is one other very small stack at about T8000 who is UTG+1. It gets folded around to me I look down and see Q10s. T5700 in pot my hand vs 2 random hands n the blinds. What would you do? Try and steal by pushing in your last T4000 and hope the SB doesn't have a hand or want to risk 2 random cards for 1/4 of his stack and BB folds or you can get headsup. Or keep waiting for one of the other small stacks to make a move and get bubbled out?

I will post results later.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Bubble hand on the button

You basically have 1 circuit left before you are blinded off, so I am pushing my stack here. But then what the heck do I know?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:20 PM

Hi Rowdy,

Yes, I'd move in here. You have strong outs: Qs, Ts, and a high straight draw. And you need those outs because you're almost certain to get called here. The SB needs to move up and he'll be getting 2.5:1 on the call, so he'd be correct to call with any connector or better. If the SB calls, the BB would be correct to fold anything except a big pair, as he makes the money if you bust out. If the SB folds, then the BB is getting correct odds (over 3:1) to call with any two cards, given his stack and the chance to bust you. So you are almost certain to get a chance to double up.

QT is too good a hand to pass up in the hope that you'll get something better before the blinds hit you, so move in and hope for the best. Hope it worked out for you.

Cris
Old 12-12-2003, 01:32 PM

It's hard to answer this without knowing the buy-in and what 8th place gets paid as well as the other 7 spots. If the payoff is enough, I would probably wait and let the BB or the UTG+1 players get busted. There's a decent chance you will get called.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then the BB is getting correct odds (over 3:1)

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the case, but with UTG+1 on the edge, I would not call an all-in with 23o even if the odds are correct.

I think the UTG+1 player makes this situation less clear cut. Alot depends on the payout. Alot also depends on the tendencies of other players. It only takes one fool to allow our hero to fold into the money.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:39 PM

Default Results

I pushed all in and after thinking about it several minutes the SB called and the BB folded. SB turned over A10 and no help arrived though I did get teased with four to a straight on the river but another 9 fell instead of an 8 and I was gone.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:42 AM

Rowdy,

it seems I´m the only one who would muck, but anyway, I don´t see a reason why you would like to move in with a Q high and knowing that the chances of getting called are high. Make this move with any A high hands, any pair, but not Q high when you are on the bubble. I´d wait the whole round for somebody to bust unless I had a really good hand.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 12-13-2003, 11:01 AM

I fold this one here. Qt is just not strong enough for me to put my last few precious chips in the pot with. If there was a chance you could still then it might be worth it. As one other poster put it only takes one fool for you to get into the money.
Old 12-13-2003, 11:28 AM

To me it depends on the players i'm against. If they are tight (in particular the SB), I push in. If he is calling people a lot due to his stack size (ie with a decent K), I throw it away.
If you get called and both your cards are live, you are getting odds on your play.
So the answer, like so many, is it depends.

Also would need to know the payout structure.