Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Help me figure out my stupid KK playing

Obviously I did something stupid because I lost the hand. Help me out please.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is MP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, EP2 limps, Hero raises, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls, EP2 calls

Flop(12 SB): 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks, EP1 checks, EP2 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, UTG folds, EP1 calls, EP2 calls

Turn(14 BB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP1 checks, EP2 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, EP1 folds, EP2 calls

River(16 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EP2 checks, Hero checks, Button checks

Winner had 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Stupid for him to call my raise and then he chased his inside straight all the way to the river... but I'm sure there was something I could have done before that to avoid losing this pot. Thoughts please?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Help me figure out my stupid KK playing

You didn't do anything wrong, in fact I think you played it quite well.

I probably would have bet the river and lost more than you did.

Jim
Old 12-11-2003, 09:05 PM

"Stupid for him to call my raise and then he chased his inside straight all the way to the river..."

It was stupid of him to call PF, but after that he had a double gut shot (any 6 or any T for the straight, which can be usually treated like an open-ended) and was actually correct in calling.

I think you played your hand fine, and sometimes you just get sucked out like that, especially on micro limit Party.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:07 PM

Warik, you played the hand fine. You knew at the flop that there was a potential made flush as well. In lower limit games more players will take a hand to the river with a gutshot than at most higher limit games. Don't beat yourself up. I had a run of losing to hands like that with sets, having KK or AA and getting one on the flop and raising like crazy to get beat just like you did. The odds are with you to make out in the long run. It can be maddening when it happens, but you played well, the person that beat you did not.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:08 PM

You played it well. And I think going into check/call mode on the river is a must.

You raised PF, and the final board has three cards in the playing zone. That the river made someone two pair isn't out of the question, and neither is a straight (although I'd expect K9 before 79). Plus there's a three-flush on the board. If you're called on the river, you can almost expect to lose this hand the majority of the time.

I bet the river mostly when I want to be called. I don't want to be called here. This board is too threatening.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I did something stupid because I lost the hand. Help me out please.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely not true. Don't be results orientated. If you had raised on every street with KK and someone with 22 spiked a 2 on the river to beat you, would you say you had done something wrong because you lost?

I would have bet the river here and (cryingly) called the raise, there is no indication here that you're beaten.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Excellent. I'd have bet the river for value, although this has been a recent development in my own game. KK takes this much of the time and will get called by worse hands, and often even overcalled.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... but I'm sure there was something I could have done before that to avoid losing this pot. Thoughts please?

[/ QUOTE ]You want to lose this pot. Not really, but you absolutely do want to be playing with people who make you lose this way from time to time. This is a great table.

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously I did something stupid because I lost the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]This is a part of your game that might need work, or perhaps just experience. It takes a while to learn that the results for any given hand do not matter, but the way the hand is played matters enormously.

At some point, probably sooner than later, you will have a big losing streak if you keep playing poker. There is a large element of luck in the short term, and the short term can be weeks or even months. When big hands take a beating, so does your bankroll. I suggest browsing these forums and learning as much as possible about bankroll requirements, expected value and its standard deviation / variance, and swings and losing streaks. Some of this just has to be experienced, but it helps to try to understand what it means for individual hands and sessions.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:01 PM

You may have been able to try for a check-raise on the flop, but I doubt if that would have done anything...... sometimes you just get sucked out on....

'Mez
Old 12-11-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Thanks Everyone

I thought I might have played poorly by hanging on to those kings for too long. Glad to see that my play was proper. Given 1,000 games, this play would surely have won me more than it lost me.

Back to the tables... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]