Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2003, 04:32 AM

Default Call All in With Jacks?

I was in a partypoker tournament holding jacks on the button. About 700 people entered, 150 left, and I am chip leader which I was very excited about since I had never made it to the money on partypoker multitables before despite playing in a lot of them.

Anyway, I'm holding jacks, everyone folds around to someone in late position who goes all in, he has about 6000 in chips, I have about 14000. He's been playing tight so I don't think he's stealing, but I do think he has a decent hand. My instincts tell me has overcards, but it would be stupid to say I have any real read on him having played with him for about 20 minutes so he could have a pair of 88's or higher. Do I want to call here if he has overcards, get my chips in at even money? I called and lost and ended up bubbling out 20 places from the money. If I hadn't called I would have definitly made it to the money and maybe foudn a better spot to get my money in. If I won though, I'd have a huge stack.

I think what it comes down to is the law of diminishing returns, those 6000 chips I lost to him were worth more than the 6000 chips I could have won. Comments?

danny
Old 12-09-2003, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Call All in With Jacks?

a.) tight player
b.) late position
c.) jacks
d.) AK AQ AA KK QQ beat you...
Tournament style is a more consevative game when you are chip leader... Sometimes you fold good hands... i think you should have folded.... basically because if indeed he had overcards or better, its not worth coinflipping your tournament life when you are chip leader...... Its all about patience and the right choices.. that was a tough choice, but you indeed chose the path you felt was right, which isn't wrong......
Old 12-09-2003, 07:40 AM

This is the sort of hand i can throw away in realife easy but i have a hard time online. I always think people are idiots online for some reason, that coupled with you can't read people at all it's hard. But just the math probably says you have throw it away, this guy has got to have at least AQ , which if he shows you you should muck without thinking, the only reason you are thinking about calling, is that he might have 88-TT, but i'm too tired to do the math, but i can't imagine the odds of him having a pair 8-T compared to the odds of him having AQo AQs AKs AKo or QQ KK AA is even close to worth it.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:27 AM

What were the blinds?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:44 PM

I think the blinds were 150-300.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:00 PM

the chips you win in a tournament are not as valuable as those you lose. not to mention the fact that you are either a slight fav or big dog. its a tough fold but i still think folding is correct if he was a loose player and small to med pairs seemed more likely the situation would be different
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 PM

I think if you're looking to sneak into the lame-O money, fold here. But I don't see a problem calling here because if you win, you're looking wicked good to final table and hit the real cash. If it were me, I would call. You play those tournaments to make the big cash. If you just want to make the 1-2 hundred dollar profit from the first two money categories, you should just be playing live. You'd get more bang for your buck.

Cleric, as usual, you're retarded. You are probably looking to be more aggressive this close to the bubble in tournament play. You want to take blinds off of smaller stacks who don't want to get comitted to a pot with you.