Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2003, 03:58 PM

Default 3/6 AKs hand - 1st time posting

Hi folks,
Posted this one because I'd like to know how off my overcard playing was.

Paradise 3/6 (10 handed)
Loose table. I'm in EMP w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Player to my left (LAG) is very loose, very aggressive, and very bad.

UTG limps, I raise, LAG auto-reraises, LP cold-calls, BB calls, UTG calls, I call. 5 to the flop.

Flop (15 SB): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. OK, it missed, but it could be worse. I decide to use LAG to try and push people out. BB checks, UTG checks, I bet, LAG auto-raises, folded back to me and I call.

Turn (8.5 BB): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I bet, LAG auto-raises again, I call.

River (12.5 BB): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, LAG bets, I call.

LAG turns over 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for flopped 2 pair.

Thoughts? I moved tables an orbit or so later, LAG sat down on my right a bit later than that, and I got my money back in short time.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Re: 3/6 AKs hand - 1st time posting

Against a LAP I'd cap preflop and 3 bet the turn. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:14 PM

i don't like this push everyone out play. in order for it to make sense, you basically have to force someone with AT, A6, A5, KT, K6, or K5 to fold. it seems unlikely that they would fold any of these hands now if they called three bets preflop with them.

also, i would welcome the LAG on my left in a loose game. only if the second table respects isolation raises does this situation seem better to me.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:06 PM

This is a hand I will cap preflop anytime possible...I think that was your only mistake. Using the raiser to knock everyone else out was a good play, and worked perfectly for you. Unfortunate that the perfect play followed by the perfect card doesn't win you the pot...but I would do the same thing again and again.

-ropey