Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2003, 03:01 PM

Default flame me on this one/advice

Loose 3/6 game at Party. A lot of garbage with lucky draws, people taking crap to the river. Seat 10 plays almost every hand all the way.

Seat 2 is the button, I'm in seat 3 (SB). 9 handed, seat 4 empty.

Seat 6 limps
Seat 7 limps
Seat 8 folds
Seat 9 limps
Seat 10 Raises
Seat 1 Folds
Seat 2 Calls
Seat 3 Calls (me in the SB with Js,Ac
Seat 5 folds
Seat 6 calls
seat 7 calls
seat 9 calls

Flop: 5c, Jd, Th
seat 3 check (with high pair, ace kicker)
seat 6 checks
seat 7 checks
seat 9 checks
seat 10 bets
seat 2 folds
seat 3 raises (me)
seat 6 calls
seat 7 folds
seat 9 calls
seat 10 calls

Turn: 8s

Seat 3 checks (me)
Seat 6 checks
Seat 9 checks
seat 10 bets
seat 3 calls (me)
seat 6 calls
seat 9 calls

River: Jc

Seat 3 bet (me)
Seat 6 folds
seat 9 folds
seat 10 calls

Outcome Below:

I ended up winning pot with 3 jacks
Seat 10 had pocket aces.

This put seat 10 on a tilt and he sent a few angry messages, which I didn't reply to. See next hand posted for criticism.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:15 PM

Default Re: flame me on this one/advice

bet the turn.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:42 PM

Yeah,

I agree, why didn't you bet turn?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 PM

I was hoping that maybe I had caused enough concern for seat 10 that my check would be checked by all, and I could see the river for free. It didn't happen that way. Should I have possibly raised after the bet by seat 10, trying to possibly take the pot right there? Or would betting right after the turn have been better? I know the check showed some obvious weakness. Perhaps I should have check raised, as I did after the flop?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:02 PM

You need to bet the turn quite simply because you think you have the best hand.
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping that maybe I had caused enough concern for seat 10 that my check would be checked by all, and I could see the river for free.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once again, you think you have the best hand...why do you want to check???
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have possibly raised after the bet by seat 10, trying to possibly take the pot right there?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why you think you would take the pot right there.
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I should have check raised, as I did after the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
What logic makes you think you can get a second check-raise after an 8 of all cards hits the turn...if that 8 made somebody's hand, you surely don't want to check-raise.

You want the hand checked through, then you want to get a second check-raise in...you think a turn raise might have taken the pot (but you didn't want to bet it, you wanted it checked through).

I guess the title of this post is appropriate as you should be flamed, and flamed, and flamed for this hand, and the logic you used to play it. Nothing that you are saying really makes any sense to me.

-ropey
Old 12-07-2003, 05:40 PM

ropey, you may flame me more for this, but my confidence in having the best hand was low. Obviously any pocket pairs of Q,K or A would have me beat prior to the River.

I agree that I should have bet the turn.

I thought if I wasn't up agains an overpair that another check raise might get seat 10 to fold.

With seat 10 having played almost everything to the river prior to this hand I didn't feel I could accurately put him on anything. Until the river I didn't know if he had anything at all. At the river I figured I had the best hand. Prior to that I was feeling as if I was foolish to play past the flop, and I wouldn't have if it wasn't such a loose game. AJo is a group D card if you're a Sklansky follower. I expected some flame on even staying for the flop.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:46 PM

I think you need to bet the turn to figure out if someone made the straight and get some info and also push out any additional drawers.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:48 PM

If you worried about an overpair, I would suggest that you just bet the flop out yourself...you will surely be raised if somebody has an overpair. Then you can play the rest of the hand accordingly.

If you do think your up against an overpair, I don't like the checkraise to limit the feild at all. If you need to improve to win, having additinal players in the pot will not hurt you considering when you do improve you will likely win with Aces up, or 3 Jacks.

A Jack high flop is the perfect flop for AJ, if you that sure you were against an overpair to begin with, then maybe you shouldn't have even called preflop.

The bottom line is that you need to be more careful about how you are putting bets into the pot; think about the point of checkraising, and think about hte point of betting, and think about how you can get information about your opponent.

-ropey
Old 12-07-2003, 07:11 PM

Calling 2 from the SB with AJo is marginal...a lot depends on the raiser. If he's tight, fold, if he's loose, calling is allright.

Check-raising the flop was great.

You absolutely have, have, have to bet the turn. You must.

Betting the river is right.

Will
Old 12-07-2003, 07:14 PM

You played the hand well except betting the turn, but your logic seems wrong, if you wanted to check fold the flop on a J high flop when you got the best flop for your hand, you should have just folded preflop. And why would u checkraise the flop if you didnt think you had the best hand. If seat 10 goes all the way to the river and plays everyhand, that gives u even more reason to think you are ahead. Theres no reason to think seat 10 has an overpair, he raised preflop and did not 3-bet the flop. you should lead the turn because you will be ahead here most of the time and bet again on the river. You also said that if you were not against an overpair seat 10 would fold to a checkraise... wats wrong with that?? the pot is big enough to want to win it right now with a pair of jacks.. ur hand can be easily beaten on the river.