Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2003, 02:07 PM

Default Should Moneymaker have shown?

A friend and I got into a discussion the other day about the bluff of the century by Chris Moneymaker vs. Sammy Farha.

Should he have shown his bluff after Farha folded the winner? I think yes, for the tilt factor. My buddy says no, so he can pull it off again.

Thoughts/comments?
Old 12-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Should Moneymaker have shown?

I say no. What would be accomplised by putting a guy like sammy on tilt. He already plays pretty loose pre-flop. I don't think you want a guy like sammy get MORE agressive on you.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:04 PM

NO WAY SHOLD MONEMAKER SHOW HIS CARDS. LET FARHA WATCH THE SHOW LATER AS WE ALL DO. LJH
Old 12-06-2003, 06:09 PM

I don't know if he should have shown it or not, but I think something Moneymaker said after the hand gave away the fact that he'd just bluffed Farha.

I don't remember the exchange word for word, but Farha starts bullsh*tting about having folded a pair of queens. Moneymaker says that the highest card on the board was a ten, and asks if Farha had a pair of queens in his hand.

Wasn't the highest card on board a nine? Something like 986xx with Ks7x for MM and Qs9x for Farha?

It could have been just a nervous slip. But if I were Farha I'd think that if MM didn't know what the cards on the board were, then he'd probably been firing on air.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I were Farha I'd think that if MM didn't know what the cards on the board were, then he'd probably been firing on air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well not necessarily. I think Farha put him on a flush, b/c Moneymaker raised the turn when the flush got there, then bet everything on the river. It's not strange for one to forget what the cards were if they made a flush.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:55 PM

Farha is probably too seasoned to go on tilt from one bluff.

Short-handed, being able to steal a big pot is worth a lot more than getting somebody to make a call when you've got a big hand. You just don't get enough big hands to make up for all the times you'd like them to fold.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 12-06-2003, 07:32 PM

Tilt Factor? C'mon, Farha is a seasoned pro and it's the most important match he's ever gonna play.

He should not show and it's not close.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon, Farha is a seasoned pro and it's the most important match he's ever gonna play.

He should not show and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right but isn't the fact that it's the most important match of his career the reason why he WOULD tilt?
Old 12-06-2003, 07:41 PM

I never thought about it from that perspective.

I wouldn't tilt in this position simply cuz it would be hard to live with yourself if you did, but it's possible someone else might. Good point, but I still wouldn't show [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may be right but isn't the fact that it's the most important match of his career the reason why he WOULD tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess it wasn't farha's most important match. I'd guess the title of world champion wouldn't mean much to him. He knows it means nothing. He's a high stakes gambler, not a tourney player. In it for a chance of the big score rather than any title. That's my guess anyway.