Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 11:22 PM

Default Blew it on the River?

Party 5/10. Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. Unknown limps in EP, folded to me and I complete, BB checks. BB is a pretty loose player (any Ace), but I have no reads on his post-Flop play.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, EP calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, BB calls, EP folds.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, BB bets, I fold. I know that by checking I may have induced him to bluff, and I think I probably should've followed through with a call. Thoughts?

-Brian
Old 12-06-2003, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Blew it on the River?

I know that by checking I may have induced him to bluff, and I think I probably should've followed through with a call.

I agree. It's rarely correct to check fold the river with a pair heads up after your opponent has just called you on the flop and turn, especially when an innocent looking card falls.
Old 12-06-2003, 01:46 AM

it all read so well until, "I fold"

You check to induce the bluff, you did, call and pick it off. If you lose, so be it.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:49 AM

These small pots are always the most difficult I think.

Would it be better to check the turn and bet the river (and fold to a raise, unless you improve), no matter what? You aren't folding on the turn, so check/calling isn't bad. And betting out on the river makes it look like you improved.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:56 AM

Hi Zack,

I didn't really check to induce the bluff. But, after checking, I realized that it may have made my opponent bluff, and so maybe I should call. The problem is, the pot was so small that I did not feel like it was worth another big bet. I actually think perhaps my best course of action, for me, would have been to bet the River. I don't often bet the River "unimproved", and this would have been a prime spot to do so.

-Brian
Old 12-06-2003, 03:57 AM

Hi AceHigh,

I think that betting the Turn is the best course of action. I picked up many additional outs, and some people will call the Flop almost no matter what. Had I had a better read on my opponent and known what his "folding point" was, then perhaps check-calling with the intention of betting the River no matter what would have been best.

I agree 100% that the fact the pot is small is what makes the decision difficult. Were it larger, I certainly would have called.

-Brian
Old 12-06-2003, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that betting the Turn is the best course of action.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right, I would often bet the turn. But I think this shows how tough it can be to make good decisions with weak hands out of position against loose players. After you bet the turn then you need to bet the river and fold to a raise or check/call on the river against an unknown opponent.

*Sigh* I guess that's why Tommy Angelo likes to have the tight players have position on him.

I was thinking checking the turn might make a river bet look stronger. So if you check/call the turn and bet out on the river, your opponents might think you improved and fold a better hand than yours. If the turn gets checked thru, then a river bet looks like a Jack that was scared of the King and you might get a medium pocket pair to fold.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:51 PM

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the possibility of hero raising PF, if he thought he could get it HU with the limper. You would be a favorite over any overcards below Ax, and this would set you up to come out firing on any flop as a semi-bluff, with this looking like you have a big pocket pair.

Just something to think about.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:06 PM

Betting the river gives you the only real chance of winning the pot. I say bet and fold to a raise, same cost as check calling but you give him a chance to fold.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:02 PM

Im glad you brought up raising preflop. i think you may be able to get away with it here.

Brian, I think you are right that you should rather bet the river, rather than check/calling. What was your read on him/her?

-AA