Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 11:21 PM

Default More Poker in Shreveport? News on the sale of Harrah\'s.

I just started working in shreveport. There is a tv in our breakroom and i usually watch the noon news broadcast. There is some minor controversy over Harrah's plans after purchasing the Horseshoe. They stated their intention to sell one of their propertys in Shreveport at the time. I was hoping the Grand might buy it as they usually have well run poker rooms and it would give some competition to the Hollywood's room.

Apparently Harrah's is trying the sell one of the properties but it is the current Harrahs. Ameristar made a bid but they were turned down and here is where the rub starts. Apparently, Harrahs does not want to sell to any major corportation that might be competiton for them in the area. Their reason for turning down the Ameristar was, in part that they were strong competitors for Harrah's in other markets. The mayor of Shreveport is involved now. He wants to be sure that Harrah's is sold to someone competent so the take stays high and tax revenue is not hurt.

The crux seems to be that the louisiana gaming commission is pressuring harrah's to sell as they feel that they would have too much of the Shrevport market with three facilities. Harrah's has suggested now that they be allowed to keep all three facilities. If this happens, I would not look for more poker in Shreveport anytime soon.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:59 AM

Default Re: More Poker in Shreveport? News on the sale of Harrah\'s.

Keep us posted.