Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 05:14 PM

Default $2/$4 PLO hand....

Stars,bought in for the max($400).Have $355 to start this hand...been sitting for about an hour.

OBSERVATIONS

Seat 2 is a total maniac.He has been raising about 80% of the hands preflop if the pot hasn't been raised yet.Everyone else seems to be loose/passive.I don't know anything else about any of these players.

PREFLOP

I'm in seat 1(cutoff -1) and get dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].UTG and UTG+1 limp,2 mid's fold and it's on me.My hand is good but certainly not great.I think if i pot it here i will most likely get 5 callers.Not what i want.Gonna have to nail the flop with the obvious or i'm dead.I decide to limp in, in hopes that the maniac behind me will raise or if he doesn't i can get away from the hand cheaply....Yes!Maniac makes it $16 to go.Button folds,both blinds fold and, UTG and UTG+1 limpers cold call.Now it's back to me.Couldn't really have asked for more except having 1 or both the early limpers fold to maniacs raise.But im fairly confident i can knock atleast 2 of my 3 remaining oponents out with a pot size raise here.So that's my move.I make it $86 to go.Original raiser(maniac) folds,UTG folds,UTG+1 calls($113 left in his stack) and we take the flop heads-up.Nice!..Before the flop comes down i've already decided that i'm all in on the flop no matter what hits.

POST FLOP

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Looks ok'ish.Doesn't look great for me but doesn't look too bad.I've already made my decision anyhow.UTG+1 bets his remaining stack,$113.I call.The turn and river are 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

He shows J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].My aces hold up for the $433 pot.

Would like to hear any opinions on how the hand was played and/or what you would do differently.The hand history follows.Thx.

PokerStars Game #198233219: Omaha Pot Limit ($2/$4) - 2003/12/04 - 22:51:27
(ET)
Table 'Alderamin' Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: n1stunnor ($355.80 in chips)
Seat 2: MANIAC ($465.35 in chips)
Seat 3: XXXX ($390.25 in chips)
Seat 4: XXXX ($610.60 in chips)
Seat 5: XXXX ($241.80 in chips)
Seat 6: XXXX ($377.85 in chips)
Seat 7: UTG+1 ($199.40 in chips)
Seat 8: XXXX ($418.60 in chips)
Seat 9: XXXX($518.65 in chips)
Seat 4: posts small blind $2
Seat 5: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to n1stunnor [Ah 5h Qh Ac]
XXXX: calls $4
UTG+1 : calls $4
XXXX: folds
n1stunnor : calls $4
MANIAC : raises $12 to $16
XXXX: calls $12
UTG+1 : calls $12
n1stunnor : raises $70 to $86
MANIAC : folds
UTG+1 : calls $70
*** FLOP *** [6h Ks Jd]
UTG+1 : bets $113.40 and is all-in
n1stunnor : calls $113.40
*** TURN *** [6h Ks Jd] [5d]
*** RIVER *** [6h Ks Jd 5d] [3h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Lucius: shows [Js 8c 4h 9h] (a pair of Jacks)
n1stunnor: shows [Ah 5h Qh Ac] (a pair of Aces)
n1stunnor collected $433.80 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $436.80 | Rake $3
Board [6h Ks Jd 5d 3h]
Seat 1: n1stunnor showed [Ah 5h Qh Ac] and won ($433.80) with a pair of Aces
Seat 2: marmak folded before Flop
Seat 3: iffywicky (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Oswaldo (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: TheDummy (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Schumi1 folded before Flop
Seat 7: Lucius showed [Js 8c 4h 9h] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 8: THE BLACK folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: ricks folded before Flop (didn't bet

Old 12-05-2003, 05:48 PM

Default Re: $2/$4 PLO hand....

although i don't know for sure whether i would fold to the flop bet, this is definitely not a good flop for your aces. the most likely hands that a mediocre player would call $86 with are KKxx or something along the lines of KQJT. either way, i would not expect to be the favorite when i call, unless the opponent is both loose and aggressive (which was the case here).

your 3:1 pot odds probably justify a call against most opponents, but on this kind of flop you can't really like your hand much.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:34 PM

Stunnor,

I would have played the hand the same way. With large(ish) stacks the limp-reraise is a perfect play. If the stacks were 3-4x larger I would not recommend it however.

I have to disagree with Crock here on the postflop situation. Generally in these kind of pots, the early position player knows that you are going to bet if he checks to you, so a bet is more likely to be a bluff than a strong hand.

In this hand he has outs against you, but even if you're up against a hand like 2 or 3 pair you still have many outs.

Furthermore, for metagame considerations, if you fold here you're going to get pushed around. The players are fairly talented and observant in this game.

Ni han,

Acesover8s
Old 12-05-2003, 07:39 PM

the point of my post was just that this is not a good flop for aces. i would probably still call the bet.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...The games all about making decisions right?So i decided to take control and win the pot the best way i thought i could.I'm 99% sure if i would have raised preflop, before the maniac did,or just called the manaics raise,i would have ended up losing the pot one way or another.The flop would have been seen by more than just the two of us and i probably woulda had to let it go to multiple action.Likewise, if the other 2 called my re-raise i probably woulda been dead.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the point of my post was just that this is not a good flop for aces. i would probably still call the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I know that you would call here. My point is that when he bets into me I like my hand more than if he checks and calls my bet.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:29 PM

Couldn't really have asked for more except having 1 or both the early limpers fold to maniacs raise.

You shouldn't mind callers of the raise inbetween - that way you get to put more of your stack in preflop and you'll be forcing them all to call a bigger bet when it's back to them. Not good if you only get a third of your stack in preflop. This way you got enough in that it's a no-brainer once your HU.

Good point about the bet vs check-raise from Aces. Him betting out is suspicious.

PS: What's the handle of your opp?... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2003, 10:34 PM

Good point!