Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Default all in with trip nines?

playin in a on line no limit tourney,on bog blind 300 dollars.holdin q 9 suited.at this point in tourney im in ok shape with 2300.1 caller,flop is blank,j,9. i bet 300 to reprosent a possible j,he calls.next card is a 9,i go all in for 1700 he calls with boat pocket js.i think i totally missed played the hand,but if i check and he bets or puts me all in how do i not call?
Old 12-05-2003, 12:33 AM

Default Re: all in with trip nines?

Hi luggie,

The flop bet wasn't a bad idea, but once it was called, you had to be careful. It's dangerous to bet a set all-in when there's a straight on the board (QT), and an open set is always at risk to a pocket pair that's hit a boat. All in all, I'd have been more likely to check-read and decide whether I call or fold when I see what the bet is.

Cris
Old 12-05-2003, 12:44 AM

Default Re: all in with trip nines?

It would be easier to give you more in depth advice if you didn't post your results in the original post, and if you said how close you were to the money, how many people are at your table, the position of the limper and what kind of tourney it was.
you made two big mistakes. 1, you bet min on the flop; that bet is worthless. 2, you went all in based on no information.