Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 06:03 PM

Default PLO Non nut draws

I know playing non-nut draws is a recipe for disaster in Omaha (particularly PL), and I generally try to avoid them, but a weird situation came up in a home game (.25-.50 blinds) Stacks between 20 and 150 dollars. I am on the big blind with K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Not a beauty, but with five limpers and no raise, I'll play any four cards for free.
The flop is pretty favorable, but not great J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Three pair and second nut flush draw. Small blind checks, I check, UTG (who has around $80) bets $3. Two people call and I call (should I have raised?) The turn is pseudo favorable to me K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I check, and UTG bets $15. Both people fold, what is my play? I have two flush draws, neither of them nuts, and four pair.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: PLO Non nut draws

If you can get it all in with a checkraise its going to be your best play here, you didn't post your stack size. Against a player who will only raise you if you're beaten (i.e. by a set), you should bet out to find out where you are.

On the turn the same thing applies.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:16 PM

I had around $150, so if I were to check raise, I wouldn't put him or me all in, although he'd only have around $15 left after a check raise on the turn.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:56 PM

why did you check the flop? i would definitely bet out. your hand is vulnerable to almost the entire deck (except cards that fill you up), and if someone raises you you are much better aware of where you stnad with this hand. i also would have bet out on the turn.

on the turn, it depends how much money you have. your choice should be between calling and raising all-in; you have too much to fold.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:13 AM

I'm with both Aces and crock.

On the flop, you have enough in your hand to be willing to bet and hope to take it there, but with outs if you're called (tho' you're not sure which ones).

Get all-in on the turn betting if you can. Same situation...you don't know what's good for you, but you surely have plenty cards to hit to win...whether blanks or improvers.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 AM

On the flop you have a decent holding with top 2 pair, the second nut flush draw to back it up, and holding a matching card for each board card makeit quite difficult for someone to have flopped a set. On the other hand your hand is about a vulnerable as it could be to a scary turn card. Here I would want to do whatever I could to get it heads-up, and preferably all-in heads up, and that means betting and raising. Even more so on the turn. If you should run into a set you still have a lot of outs. You could run into someone holding both a set and a nut flush draw but it's not worth getting too worried about. It is worth worrying about if you can't get it heads-up though.