Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2003, 01:27 PM

Default How To Handle Runner-Runner Flush?

8 players in a typical Party 2/4 game. Hero is on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG calls, folded to Hero who calls, SB completes and BB checks. 4 to the flop with 4 SB.

Flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to Hero who bets. SB folds, BB and UTG call. 3.5 BB.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

Checked to hero who bets. BB folds, UTG calls. 4.5 BB.

River is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

UTG checks, I bet, he raises and I call. He turned over Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the runner-runner flush.

Looking at it now, maybe I should have raised pre-flop? I don't normally raise KJo, but given my position and all the folding in front of me...If a scare card hits I'd normally check the river through if checked to me thinking if he's on a draw he won't call unless he's got me beat. Since the flush draw wasn't there on the flop I put him on a busted up straight and bet out. His flop call has to be a mistake, right? Help?
Old 12-04-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: How To Handle Runner-Runner Flush?

What does UTG limp with? Raising second in, with KJ, is probably ok if you can isolate UTG, but in that case, you might be isolating yourself with a hand that is dominated. If you didn't play, I don't think that would have been a mistake either.

Calling with his hand, would have been a mistake, if the only hands you would bet on the button are top pair. I don't think that that is the case, and if it is, you need to get more aggressive.

After that, I think he played his hand well, and I would have played your hand exactly the same way you did.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:00 PM

Since the flush draw wasn't there on the flop I put him on a busted up straight and bet out. His flop call has to be a mistake, right? Help?

He flopped middle pair and picked up a flush draw on the turn. You could not have knocked him off of his hand with a sledgehammer.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:10 PM

Since you explained it, it makes sense now. It is true that after being checked to me on the button, I'm betting out with all kinds of hands so it is hard for him to respect my bet and particularly if he thinks I might be on the straight draw he doesn't want to give me a free card. Without a straight or flush draw to go with my middle pair, I would fold to a bet, but I guess I'm playing to weak.

Maybe raising the KJo without ANY callers would be fine for stealing blinds. But the guy called UTG. If he is at all solid on starting hands then he wouldn't call UTG with anything that he wouldn't raise in LP. So his hand would look to be the favorite PF, even though it wasn't. He never should have called to begin with.

Also, he had already called for one bet with the original presumed odds. He's definitely going to call another bet pre-flop since the assumed pot odds will be more than three times what they originally were.

Of course all this is assuming he knew what he was doing, which doesn't appear the case.

Fact remains, if you raised he would have called. You were not going to win this hand.

About saving the 2 big bets...I agree with your play here too. I don't know if you had any reads on the guy, but from what I could see he wasn't all that good to start. I wouldn't expect him to catch his flush either. Had he missed it, I believe he still would have called with his 9's since he really has no idea what you have since you could just be using your position and have just 2nd or third pair. So risking two big bets versus his one would be a marginally good play here, especially since you have top pair with good kicker and he hasn't shown anything at all.

m2c,
gavin

[ QUOTE ]
8 players in a typical Party 2/4 game. Hero is on the button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG calls, folded to Hero who calls, SB completes and BB checks. 4 to the flop with 4 SB.

Flop comes J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked to Hero who bets. SB folds, BB and UTG call. 3.5 BB.

Turn is 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

Checked to hero who bets. BB folds, UTG calls. 4.5 BB.

River is 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

UTG checks, I bet, he raises and I call. He turned over Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the runner-runner flush.

Looking at it now, maybe I should have raised pre-flop? I don't normally raise KJo, but given my position and all the folding in front of me...If a scare card hits I'd normally check the river through if checked to me thinking if he's on a draw he won't call unless he's got me beat. Since the flush draw wasn't there on the flop I put him on a busted up straight and bet out. His flop call has to be a mistake, right? Help?

[/ QUOTE ]

On the flop he has second pair, an overcard, and 2 backdoor draws. He may have seen you bet the flop without top pair as well. If you were him in this situation would you fold?
Old 12-04-2003, 02:20 PM

I probably would have bet the flop if I was UTG though...
Old 12-04-2003, 02:30 PM

My action preflop would be dependent upon my read of UTG as a player, if I had one. If you think he is a solid player, he would probably only openlimp with a pair or maybe a suited ace, both of which will be ahead of you. If you've seen him limp with crap in an early position, I would raise to try to isolate him. But I would never call--too easy to get caught in no man's land in a four-handed pot, even with position.