Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 AM

Default I played this like a calling station fish...please advise

Party 1/2 ...with the exception of a fellow 2+2er (who was not in this hand), the table was very loose-passive, with little preflop raising, anywhere from 5-7 seeing most flops, and with players chasing with all kinds of garbage.

I'm in the CO, and dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG calls, folded to me and I call, folded to SB who completes, BB raises, UTG calls, I call, SB calls...four to the flop for 8SB...

T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, and now I...call (ugh)...SB calls...four to the turn for 6BB

[T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, UTG folds, I call, SB folds...8BB

[T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call...10BB

I believe I should have bet/raised or checkraised the flop to see if I was up against overcards or a premium PP, which would probably have allowed me to either fold immediately to a reraise or to get a free card on the turn. I had seen others at this table bet the entire way into rags with just overcards, but by not raising the flop I was just hoping that he was on overcards.

On the turn, I figured I might still have the best hand and if not I was getting 7:1 to hit my five outs, all of which will probably be good unless he has KK, since I didn't think he had a 5 or was on a flush draw. Rather than raise here, I just wanted to save the extra bet for the river. Finally, I had the nagging feeling I was beat on the river when he bet into me, but I didn't think I could I throw the hand away for one more bet...

Did I just play this like a fish? Please advise...Results below...
BB showed K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the higher two-pair
Old 12-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Default Re: I played this like a calling station fish...please advise

Raise this here after one EP limper and try to buy the button, leveraging your position.

As for the way you played it, raise the flop to see where you stand. If you don't you'll never know where you are at in this hand.

Peace,
JT
Old 12-03-2003, 10:10 AM

Yeah, you played it like a calling station.

This is an easy raise pre-flop with one limper and you being in a good position. On the flop, this is another raising situation with your top pair good kicker. Also note the possible flush draw.

Again, passive play leads you to a place where you don't know where you are.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:00 PM

Another big reason to raise PF is to see if you get 3-bet, which would put somebody on a pretty high quality hand from EP. (With KK, this probably would have happened.) Then, if BB bets out on that flop and sticks around to your flop raise, you know you're probably up against an overpair. At that point you can make calling decisions based on odds, but at least you know you're behind.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:22 PM

The reason why I didn't bet PF is I thought KTs would play slightly better either HU (as a high card hand) or four-handed (as a possible straight or flush hand) in comparison to three-handed, and given this difficult choice, I chose to only throw in only one bet, since I didn't know if a raise would take out both blinds.

Come to think of it, I may have misplayed this hand so badly, in part, because I felt I had difficult decisions to make on every street. Indeed, as is written in the Tao of Poker, players are most likely to make mistakes when they are presented with choices which are not clearly right or wrong, but instead require difficult judgement calls.

I guess I'm just still a little grasshopper. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:02 PM

Preflop I would raise this after just 1 limper. On the flop I would raise also. It just makes it a lot easier to play.

I'm curious how you check-raise the flop, very interesting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 05:02 PM

Why do you think you're beat on the flop? You seem to realize that calling the flop was a (big) mistake but your explanation sounds like you thought you were beat. ???

Was the BB super super passive, (meaning if he bets on the flop he's got something)? I'd still raise the flop, if you get 3 bet you can safely put him on overpair and toss it away. If he's not super passive I'd raise the turn and fold if reraised....

just some thoughts. gooder luck next time pal [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2003, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious how you check-raise the flop, very interesting [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's just silly. I meant to the say the 'ol double secret, triple reversed call-reraise [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Ahhhh, that secret move, very very dangerous [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 09:07 PM

Don't be too hard on yourself, given the type of table you were at I think you played the hand well. In my short time playing online I've certainly been surprised by the cards people will go to the river with rags on the board. You very well could have folded to a reraise and been sickened when you see someone win the pot with high card ace or something.

I've read a lot of your posts, and a fish you are not. I've found most of these games to be so loose that I play things that I normally would't, and it seems to be working out okay. I would not dream of playing something like A,4s in early position most of the time. I've been doing it though, and the pots are usually large enough when I hit the flush draw that it's a good investment. Unlike you, the real fish have games that are all over the place. I'm having to rethink all I thought I knew about poker because of it.

See you at the tables.