Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM

Default Never Did This Before

30-60 at the Bellagio over the weekend - game is a pretty typical late night weekend game - several tourists playing weak-tight, several local/regulars, not a bad game. I'm second UTG, UTG folds, I look down and see A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I raise. Two coldcallers from late position and both blinds call.

Flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, the two coldcallers call and both blinds fold.

Turn is the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Huh? I'm thinking uh oh the deck is fouled or maybe I misread my hand, but I go ahead and bet. Both of my opponents fold. Now, of course I have to look and I'm thinking "Am I going to say something if there is indeed two Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]?" To my surprise, when I relook at my cards I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. "What the heck?"

I can't remember the last time I've misread my hand but it's been at least a year I think. Like most of us, I have indeed misread hands but usually it's something like thinking I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] when it's actually A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something like that. I still can't figure out how I managed to see the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] instead of the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - I'd almost swear my cards changed.

Anyway, I continue to chuckle at having "found" $300 that I would not have if I'd not made such a dumb mistake.

Two questions - first, anyone else ever made this misread? Second, and answer honestly, if there were two Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] how many of you just muck and take the pot versus turning up the cards and alerting the table to the bad deck?
Old 12-01-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Never Did This Before

I have never misread my hand at the table. Maybe this is a sort of a bad sign.

If I held the queen of spades and the queen of spades hit the turn, and I had not misread my hand, I would call time and alert the dealer to this fact. I do not, however, believe that it is incumbent upon a player to do so. It is simply a personal decision that I would choose to make.

Lastly, one might confuse the rounded top of a queen with the rounded top of an eight, right? It's like aces and fours, I would think (both having pointed tops).
Old 12-01-2003, 12:23 PM

Your opponents picked up your image of strength. Now if you could only replicate this on your "true" bluffs, you would be great! It is funny how your opponents can see it when "you" believe you really have the best hand or if you are trying to be aggressive on a lesser one. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 12:04 PM

I have mis-remembered my hand when I was in EP and to put it kindly the rest of the table was SLOW...

Don't recall results though, I think I folded to a raise coming back around.

Yeah, if that happened to me, it's time for a break/more caffiene injections or head home.

-t

Old 12-02-2003, 12:14 PM

On two occasions I have peeked at my cards to see two aces of the same color, and managed to show down A4. One of them still won a nice pot with the nut flush I didn't know I had, and took some ribbing for not raising with the nuts on the river. The other lost when I announced "aces full" and was accused of angle shooting.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:10 PM

You have to be careful when presented with a fouled deck situation and you're in a hand. I have read (perhaps it was in a Cardplayer article) that certain rooms have a rule that says someone betting a hand they know to be fouled (e.g., you have the Qs and the Qs is on the board, too) has a dead hand and forfeits their interest in the pot (including when the bets are chopped up and returned to the players). I believe that rule is intended to preclude angle shooting. If I remember the article correctly, though, the author was arguing in favor of changing the rule.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:24 PM

Maybe someone more techno-competent than I can find an old post of mine about when I first got my new bifocals. I can't remember the hand exactly, I think I might have thought I had pocket queens and they turned out to be Q-4 or something like that. Like I say, I can't remember the details, but the post, by popular acclaim, was brilliant, in an idiot-savant kind of way.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:04 PM

No, I have never misread a hand in which I played. And yes, if I knew the deck is tainted, I would immediately alert the table. I play to win at all times, but I don't want to win in that manner.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:45 PM

hi soft
after many consecutive sessions, the fatigue level increases even if you get in 8 hrs. sleep in between each session. sometimes, if your first session is particularly long, fatigue slowly builds up imperceptibly over the course of many sessions, and can impair you even after a day off. sometimes soft, these sessions take a few days to wear off before you're 100 % again.

so if you've played a few sessions in a row, take an additional rest period every day. fatigue slowly accumulates over time and unless you do something like play speed chess, you don't notice it. with me, A2s looks like AQs. and the J on board looks like a K. the real problem of course though is the dimished intensity of your game which still seems to be strong but really isn't.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:02 AM

Isn't saying you've never misread your hand the same as saying you've never snored?

(How can you know?)

I've misread my hand I'd guess a half-dozen times or so (that I know of). I know it's going to happen at an accelerating rate as the years go on. Hey Zee, what's it like? :-)

Tommy