Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Raising in shorthanded

It seems like if I raise pre-flop and I bet again on the flop and turn, the players are much less likely to fold than if I just called preflop. They seem to keep calling more. Do you think this is true?

Old 11-30-2003, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Raising in shorthanded

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think this is true?

[/ QUOTE ]
It depends.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:54 PM

I'm with Ulysses on this one. It depends. That's an impossible question to answer. However, I will say this: 'it depends' on your table image, and 'it depends' on whether or not your opponents are capable of folding middle or bottom pair in light of that image.

Personally, my raises get a good amount of respect, as I tend to show down 'raise-worthy' hands. These hands include 44, A6s, AK, K9s, etc... Basically your typical roster of shorthanded 'good starting hands'. So, unless my opponents don't know this about me, or don't care, they usually fold the turn.

So I will always bet the turn, regardless of whether I've hit anything or not.

Also, I raise with 35s occasionally, for obvious reasons. Last time I did this I hit a bizarre straight that nobody put me on. The pot was pretty big, I assume because at least one of my opponents made 2 pr which they figured would beat my 'obvious' AA.

Regards,
all_aces
Old 11-30-2003, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, my raises get a good amount of respect, as I tend to show down 'raise-worthy' hands. These hands include 44, A6s, AK, K9s, etc... Basically your typical roster of shorthanded 'good starting hands'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke?

Anyway, intentionally funny or not, I got a good laugh. Thanks...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have found that if I raise the BB from the SB and bet the flop, the BB will call more often than if I limp in and then bet the flop. This is my only limp play really, from any other position, I haven't noticed a significant difference.

soda
Old 11-30-2003, 11:46 PM

No, it's not a joke.

I forgot to say open-raising. I don't know if that makes it less funny for you. And I don't mean to insult your play, as I'm sure you didn't mean to insult mine, but... if you aren't open-raising these hands and then betting the flop regardless of what falls, you aren't aggressive enough for 5 max games imho.

Many times your opponent will fold to a bet on the flop if you raised preflop unless the flop hits them. I'm talking about heads-up situations for the most part. I mean no disrespect, but I play 5 max 25 50 approx. 8 hrs a day and I win, a lot. The stuff I've been talking about is part of the reason why.

Regards,
all_aces
Old 12-01-2003, 03:03 AM

I'm pretty sure you did say open raise.

The issue here is clearly the difference in games. The games that I play in (Party 6 max 10/20) and the games you play in (5 max 25/50) must play extremely different. Open raising in the Party games with most of the hands you mentioned most of the time would be a terrible drain on even the best player's BR. Of course, in your game, the players are sufficiently tight to make this the proper play.

I also do quite well in the games that I play in, TYVM, but you have me wondering about this 25/50 game. Where is it?

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

soda
Old 12-01-2003, 03:38 AM

I'm sure you do very well too soda, I can tell by your posts. The games I play in can get pretty wild, but as is usually the case, the moves you make depend on the players you're playing. So, while I would open-raise most of these hands against most opponents, hoping to steal it preflop or on the flop, I would also fold these hands quickly against certain players.

But I'd still raise with them preflop. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I play at pokerroom. The games there are as they are in most places... solid regulars with the occasional weak player coming in and leaving broke.

The key is to get to know the regular's game. And mix yours up all the time so they can't get to know yours.

Regards,
all_aces
Old 12-03-2003, 12:45 AM

Yes, I tend to agree with you, soda. I think I have played all_aces at Pokerroom.com. He is a little loose.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:56 AM

Im not sure if it is a question about gamestructure. If you open in a shorthanded game - at least if its 5 players - you always raise (it is not this we are discussing?). Giving a free card with a pair like 44 or 66 is (yes, i know you know this) extremley dangerous.

Which of these hands doesnt you raise at Party P 10/20 and why dont you do it?

44, A6s, AK, K9s???

I dont discuss AK.

I would raise all these hands on button or in cutoff. Depending on other players style, and what these players are thinking about me, I would sometimes raise with A6s, 44 and K9s 3 and 4 of the button. (I like A6s best,44 least)

I almost never limp first in, but I like to do it with AA and KK sometimes (if they fold to often when you raise, specially first in, in late position) so sometimes I also limp with Axs, and some suited connectors (like QJs). I never ever limp with an offsuit hand.

If I was in late position and someone before me was limping preflop, I would raise A6s, K9s and AK, fold 44. (If blinds was very loose I would sometimes call with all 4 of theses hands second in.)
Old 12-03-2003, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If blinds was very loose I would sometimes call with all 4 of theses hands second in.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I wouldnt limp with AK