Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Suited connectors in a passive preflop aggressive postflop game

In a game where everyone typically limps in preflop and will bet the pot or more when they catch a pair on the flop, how do you play drawing hands such as suited connectors or flush draws when you hit a draw on the flop? Or are you better off folding such hands preflop and playing only the big cards?
Thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Suited connectors in a passive preflop aggressive postflop game

It's entirely situational. If a lot of players are limping in but not raising, I would tend to limp in from any positon with suited connectors. If a lot of players are folding, I would only play these hands in LP, when there is a multi way pot brewing. It's much easier playing these hands in late position, as you get a lot more information about hands and pot odds to work with, and greater semi bluffing potential. Drawing against pot bets works better for str8 draws then flush draws, becaue you get much better implied odds. Heads up you should fold a flush draw against a pot bet, unless you know you will get paid if you hit on the turn. I offten find myself folding on the turn, when the pot gets bet again.

AeonBlues
Old 11-28-2003, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a game where everyone typically limps in preflop and will bet the pot or more when they catch a pair on the flop, how do you play drawing hands such as suited connectors or flush draws when you hit a draw on the flop? Or are you better off folding such hands preflop and playing only the big cards?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like to play suited connectors. So they have two ways to make hands, but even if you hit say, a flush draw, you still are in serious danger of losing to a higher flush unless there was significant preflop raising.

So then you're left with straight draws, which aren't all that strong a play to begin with.

Maybe I'm missing something about the fascination with suited connectors. I don't like them at all.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:57 PM

What you want to avoid in NL is to end up heads up against a made hand and to call pot committing bets on the flop. There are no fixed rules but generally (and assuming deep money), when it is is checked to you and some chance to take it down, it's usually best to semi-bluff. If it's a bet and a call, you can overcall if your draw is to the nuts. If it's a single bet to you, you usually need something to go along with your draw (such as a pair, 2 overcards or a combination-draw) to stay in the hand. If it's a bet and a raise to you, you better have at least 12 solid nut-outs to continue.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a game where everyone typically limps in preflop and will bet the pot or more when they catch a pair on the flop, how do you play drawing hands such as suited connectors

[/ QUOTE ] ]

If you are having trouble with it just play them _only_ in LP. Then say one person pot bets and at least 1 calls raising is a better play than folding. Without the caller it becomes player dependant.

In this type of game the loosiness of the game would be the determining factor if i play these hands from EP. If many times that pot sized bet is taking the pot on the flop it's not worth playing them. If it's getting called then it may be. Check out theory on value betting draws.

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up you should fold a flush draw against a pot bet, unless you know you will get paid if you hit on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a lot more options than folding here. In position i'd rarely fold heads up against a pot sized bet.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Thanks for the responses (NM)