Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2003, 05:15 AM

Default SB 66 - late in tourny - advice please

I am a relative newcomer to tournaments still keen to learn; can you help please.

4 of us left; we have reached 400/800 in a single table limit HE tournament but at this stage it may as well be NL, almost any contested pot will put someone all in.

Before the blinds I am 2000 (in SB), BB is 1300 and the other 2 are about equal @ 2350 each.

The other 2 guys fold and it is up to me in the SB. 600 in chips already in the pot, me now 1800, BB 900.

I have a pair of sixes.

The BB had not been defending his blinds stubbornly so I raised almost without a second thought.

He reraised; flop 8 high rainbow. I put him all in. Ace on turn, no 6 on river and he wins the pot with A8o.

I am not trying to second guess myself because I lost the pot. I am trying to see if my thinking is right for late tournament play. I put below some ideas. Could some experienced folks please comment? Thanks.

I have 3 choices preflop.

Raise - he might fold; I have a pair which could easily be best; if it is not I still have a chance to improve.

Call - If I only call here and he just checks, I am going to have to bet at the flop whatever it brings, so that will be 2 x SB anyway. If he raises me PF then I am going to have to call- still 2 x SB! May as well raise and see if I can win unchallenged.

Fold - He will have 1500; I will have 1800. He has to put SB in next. At this stage the game is a pure crapshoot. Anyone could be either eliminated or crippled on a single hand. If everyone conceeds the SB every hand with no one betting I will outlast the next guy.

Appreciate your time. Hope you can help.

Trevor

Old 11-28-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: SB 66 - late in tourny - advice please

You played the hand just fine - no need to second-guess yourself: Preflop, you're a 7:4 favorite over a random hand - automatic raise. After his reraise, his most likely hand are two overcards, so you're basically on a coinflip. While it doesn't make a difference wheter you call or put him all in for 100 more, calling with the intention to move in on the flop is slightly better as there is a tiny chance for him to make a stupid fold on the flop.