Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2003, 03:22 AM

Default Blinded by big cards.....?

or did I make the right call?

Villian here just sat down at the table. This is his first hand. So no read whatsoever.

Hero, with $46, gets K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP
Hero raises to $3 (too small here? I raised $5 a few orbits ago with KK, and got no callers)
One caller, who has $25. Heads up on the flop.

FLOP: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
Villain bets $15
Hero calls. I figured he either had top pair or straight or flush draw. This is the decision I feel I screwed up. I should have folded with only a drawing hand here.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain goes all-In for $7.
Hero calls. Can't fold here after calling earlier, right?

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Results to come.

Old 11-28-2003, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Blinded by big cards.....?

What are the blinds?

In any case, maybe raise to $4, you don't want the standard of the hands that call you to drop too much, especially if this was 0.50/1NL

on the flop if you're going to call, you may as well raise the $7 all in, here your hand has an edge, you have nut flush draw and overcards which could prove their worth if one hits... it's much better than a flush draw with undercards anyway

i wouldn't be surprised if you were up against 2 pair (89), A9 or a set here, which would explain the large flop bet (drawing hands are less likely) but unfortunately the only one you can beat on the river is A9...

I'm guessing you lost, just think of it as a coinflip that missed, rebuy and try and get your money back

Jon
Old 11-28-2003, 10:56 AM

I think you played the hand just fine. Having the Ah really makes all the difference here, as you are miles ahead of any other drawing hand (open str8 draw: EV=+12, flush draw: EV=+12..+18) and his 2.5x overbet indicates that he probably doesn't want a call. The only hands that really beat you here are twopair (1:2 dog, EV=-4) and a set (1:3 dog, EV=-10). All other possible holdings are either slightly profitable or EV-neutral (overpair, toppair: EV=+4, toppair w/ A or K kicker: EV=0).
Old 11-28-2003, 03:52 PM

.25-.50 blinds

Villain turned over T-J to win with a straight. I guess i made the right call, in retrospect. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2003, 05:24 PM

yep, you can be happy you got your money in when you were well ahead, 2 of his six outs to the straight, and possibly 1 or 2 to a pair would have given you a flush as well so he was very lucky
Old 12-01-2003, 12:00 AM

I think you played it correctly but you have underestimated your hand on the flop. If you say you are against top pair, or a flush or straight draw, your two top overcards with the nut flush draw is a strong hand. Two of his straight draw cards make you the flush. His strong bet on the flop is explained by his short stack, he was hoping you would fold. This goes back to Sklansky's Fundamental Theorem, but as it turns out, he hit one of his six outs.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . he hit one of his six outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, depending on suits he had anywhere from 10-14 outs.

Paul