Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 12:55 PM

Default QQ in the small blind

Sat down at a .50/1 NL on PP and received QQ in the SB one cycle into the session. Was unfamiliar with the other players. Everyone mucks and the button makes it $15 to go. We both have $100. What's the right move? Why? Results to follow.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: QQ in the small blind

no matter what the button has this is a stupid bet, but it's also tough to read. unless he's very tricky, you have to think he doesn't have AA, or KK, as with only the blinds left he'd be terrified of noone calling. Of course it could be a tricky player with a big hadn hoping that the blinds will get suspicious and take him on with a marginal hand. But it looks to me like a steal by someone who doesn't really understand no limit, or possibly a big ace by someone who doesn't want to get into a "battle of the stealers" post-flop. I think, assuming a stack of $50, all-in is ok here, though if it gets called I'm sweating; so is calling and checkraising/check-calling all-in assuming a reasonable flop. But it's a tough one and I imagine others will have different ideas.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:18 PM

It's either AK, AA or KK raising like that. Call and see a flop, if it's low cards then bet the pot, fold to an all in. Check/fold on a A or K high flop. I'm more wary about getting it all in preflop here in case you end up seeing the bigger pairs and losing $100.

Jon
Old 11-26-2003, 01:22 PM

With a stack of $100 though, a check-raise all in on the flop is leaving yourself vulnerable to an overpair, I prefer that play if I have AA or KK hoping that another smaller big pair like QQ will call me thinking I have TPTK or something.

Jon
Old 11-26-2003, 02:31 PM

Make it $50 to go. He's on the button in a position to steal the blinds. Even though you don't have a solid read on this player, it's safe to assume the likelyhood of him holding AA,KK,AK is fairly low. If he comes back over the top, you'll have a tough decision to make but should probably fold the ladies.

It's tough because you don't have a read on the player, but make him make a difficult decision.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:39 PM

Oops - I misread his post, assumed he was on Party and only had 50. But I don't think this is that likely to be AA or KK.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:43 PM

I really want to see this flop. I like to cold call, and check the flop regardless. If all undercards, I am gonna raise his bet (you know he will bet) since it is more probable that he has AK rather than AA or KK (and he will feel obligated to bet again to pick up the pot). If there is an A or K on the flop I'll muck (with no read on a player).....and hold on if I hit the Q....then I want his stack.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make it $50 to go. He's on the button in a position to steal the blinds. Even though you don't have a solid read on this player, it's safe to assume the likelyhood of him holding AA,KK,AK is fairly low. If he comes back over the top, you'll have a tough decision to make but should probably fold the ladies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats just silly. Why the hell would I commit 1/2 of my stack and then fold to a reraise? If he reraises is it 100% that he's behind? No. In an online game AK,AQ,TT,JJ are all possibilities here. If you're going to play this way why not just let him have your blind, then go knit him a sweater.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:37 AM

i don't agree with this. checking a flop of low cards will induce a bet from AK/AQ or AA/KK regardless, whereas a bet will induce a raise more often from AA/KK (sometimes JJ/TT if the board is really low, you need a read in this case)

you know where you are much more confidently if you bet the flop, if you bet and he raises, you know more about his hand than vice-versa

Jon
Old 11-27-2003, 08:12 AM

I'd either re-raise all-in or fold. I wouldn't want to be involved with all of those tricky decisions later in the hand. If I knew the player to be a maniac or a moron I'd go all in. If he was average to tough I'd fold. If I'd never seen him before I'd prolly fold and wait for a better spot.

silly