Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Pocket 9\'s from MP - too passive???

Hey guys and gals. I've been lurking around here for a while and have recently decided I should start posting some hands to take advantage of all the great minds around here. So here's one. Fire away:

Dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in MP. 1 EP call in front of me. I call. MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls, BB raises, we all call.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB bets, we all call.

I think this was a terribly passive play and I should have raised here to chase out straight and flush draws, but I was a little worried the BB had a bigger pocket pair than mine.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

Again SB checks, BB bets, we all call.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

SB checks, BB bets, I'm the only caller.

Did I do anything right in this hand?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Pocket 9\'s from MP - too passive???

Just how I'd do it:

Raise the flop!!

#1- chase out 2 possible overcard/bkdoor callers between you and the BB
#2- possibly gain info about the BB's hand (if he had AK/AQ he'll probably call and muck if the turn doesnt pair him bring a card for him)

If your flop raise isn't 3bet and the turn is checked to you bet as the 2 doesnt give anyone a str8 that didnt have it and call if someone bets the river otherwise check it through.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:53 PM

"Did I do anything right in this hand?"
Your preflop call wasn't too bad.

"I think this was a terribly passive play..."
Yes, it was. Gotta raise the flop. You have a decision to make if you're 3-bet but by not raising, you have no clue where you stand.

Old 11-25-2003, 02:10 PM

Hey Raiser:

You should probably include table stakes and table texture/reads in your posts. It helps.

Preflop: I think the call is fine, although if the table is pretty tight and my raises are getting respect, I might raise with 99.

Flop: This is a must raise. You have the perfect opportunity to face MP2, CO and SB with calling 2 cold in an unraised pot. You need to protect your vulnerable overpair.

Turn: Since you did not raise the flop, you should raise here.

River: I would call here too.

--Rico
Old 11-25-2003, 02:16 PM

I agree with Festus here. This is a must raise on the flop because...

1) You may have the best hand and you want to force out overcards and/or drawing hands. This is extremely important with middle pairs like TT and 99.

2) If BB does have a better PP than you the flop is the time to find out. Do it while the betting is cheap. If you are re-raised you can either call then fold on the turn if you don't improve, or you can fold right then and save yourself some money.

TheRake
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should probably include table stakes and table texture/reads in your posts. It helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, thanks for the heads up Rico.

.5/1 Party - 10 handed. Typical Loose passive table. No read on PF raiser since he was very new to the table.