Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2003, 10:52 AM

Default 2/3 NL $100 buy-in at Commerce

Overall table seems to know what they are doing, not too many total fish, but not too many poker pros either. Seems that the table itself thinks they are too tight, so they have a 2/3/6 straddle/dead blind structure going on, to get more action.

I have $400+, my opponent has ~$200, i'd say loose-agressive.

Late position, pick up
8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

3 limpers to me, I call the $6
SB raised to $30, all three call so I call as well.

Flop comes:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets out $75, 3 folders, and its to me.

My questions are:
what does my opponent have?
What should I do, call, raise, fold?
Old 11-23-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: 2/3 NL $100 buy-in at Commerce

Well, fold is definitely not an option for me without some kind of monster read. Yeah, the flop underbet could mean a big hand, but it's just too likely that your opponent has an overpair and is scared by that flop.

I would move in. You actually want your opponent to fold the overpair here, especially if he has a heart. It probably won't happen, especially if he has a straight draw as well, but might as well give it a shot.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:31 PM

a bump, and the results

Once it got to me, I raised all-in... but my opponent ended up have a set of 10's, so I was pretty much drawing dead. After the turn was a blank, I definitely was; the river was another 9 just to make it even harder to take [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I thought I had this hand won... definitely put him on a higher pocket pair. With the board showing two-flush and straight possibility, his postflop bet made it seem he just wanted everyone out.

any way i couldve lost less on this hand?
Old 12-02-2003, 09:25 PM

maybe I don't understand the question. The small blind only has $95 left after his raise and bet. I don't see how you could fold your hand here. I would just push it all in. Or you could just call and hope he bets again on the turn.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:01 PM

There's more than 225 in the pot when it gets to you and, given that he raised 4 limpers from the SB, his most likely hand is an overpair. If the flop would have been 987 rainbow, I'd say call and move in on turn, to go after his whole stack. With the actual flop, a hand like JhJx would give hime 14 outs to beat your twopair (counting the backdoor flush draw as a single out), so I'd move in.
If he has top set or a str8, there's really nothing you can do in this spot - however, a guy who raises 4 limpers from the SB with TT or QJ might also be in there with AJ, JT or even lesser hands compensating for the times when you are beaten, so it doesn't make much of a difference whether you read him as loose or tight - your stack is going in, either way.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the flop would have been 987 rainbow, I'd say call and move in on turn, to go after his whole stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other $95? Seems to me like the money's probably going in either way. But if my opponent folds an overpair here to a flop reraise, I'm actually happy.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 AM

> Seems to me like the money's probably going in either way.
That's of course the most likley outcome so most of the time it wouldn't make a difference. But with a 987 board there's at least a small chance that he's trying to buy the pot with AK which he would fold to a raise but might bet the turn with if there's only a single caller, convincing himself that his opponent is probably drawing to a ten.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
any way i couldve lost less on this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

... Yes, by playing the hand badly.

With a preflop raise, that bet on the flop and no callers, your money better be going all in on this hand.
Old 12-05-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Re:

you flopped Bottom 2 pair. that is by far the worst hand to have when any kind of money goes in. You are not a big favorite over an overpair which seems likely. If he has JJ it's even closer. He may have flopped a set and that is an awfully scary board for a set so that looks like he's pricing people out of that straight draw. JQs is also not out of the question. There are lots of better places to get your money in. BTW how does this game compare to Hawaiian's NL. that game is also pretty soft but of course none of them are as soft as online
Old 12-05-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Re:

Are you suggesting that he fold on the flop?