Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2003, 08:18 PM

Default Starting to play 7-Stud hi/lo online -- tips? Are the games as soft

as they seem, or did I just get lucky today?

I picked up Ray's book on hi/lo stud and Omaha, and while Omaha is kind of neat, it's pretty damn boring just sitting around waiting for A2. So I decided to try my hand at stud on Party -- the 3/6 game to be specific.

Seemed pretty sweet to me. As far as I can tell from Ray's book, the key mistakes to avoid are:

1) Getting out if you have less than an a overwhelming chance at one side, and you have no chance at the other (i.e., ~75%)
2) Getting out on 4th street for lo if you don't hit and someone else does (unless you have a premium hand, i.e., also have a decent shot at a scoop if you hit on 5th)
3) Getting out on 4th street if you hit (and you're going for low) but it looks like someone probably hit better

I'm following these rules, but it seems like at least a third of the table doesn't -- I'm seeing a lot of people chase to 5th or 6th, and of course, once they get that far it's only one or two more bets to see if they make it at the river. Tsk tsk.

So was this an anomaly? Or will I be hanging out on the 3/6 tables a lot more? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(And are the higher-limit tables as bad, or do they tighten up?)

Thanks much!
Old 11-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Starting to play 7-Stud hi/lo online -- tips? Are the games as soft

Bokonon you are not a newbie anymore, change your signature.

H/L stud tends to have players who make MAJOR mistakes, just like the ones you listed that you avoid. Therefore the magoo factor in H/L stud tends to be high, even higher than O-8. You see I personally despise O-8, because any idiot with A-friggin-2 usually flops either half the nuts, or at least a damn good draw to half the nuts. Sure money can be won at O-8 but I still hate the game.

H/L stud however is much more interesting, and for a good player it can be much more profitable. Tho some of the same principles apply, they are far less obvious to the beginning player. Anyone who has not read Ray's book is likely to be at a major disadvantage at H/L stud.

BTW, Doyle's book is out of date, since H/L stud is now played with an eight-low qualifier, but if you have the book you'll notice many of the same principles still apply today. Him and Ray said many of the same things, it's just that the game changed since S/S.

al
Old 11-25-2003, 12:32 PM

Default S/S

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, Doyle's book is out of date, since H/L stud is now played with an eight-low qualifier, but if you have the book you'll notice many of the same principles still apply today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that all of them apply, if you realize that a 9 low isn't going to take down a lot of low pots anymore.

~D