Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2003, 12:28 PM

Default flopped a low flush... now what?

Playing Party .50/1 and was in BB with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 limpers see the flop, I check.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I check, figuring someone will bet this and I can checkraise (mistake 1?) All check to the button, who bets, I check-raise, all fold except the button who 3-bets. I cap and he calls.

Turn comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I check (Mistake #2?). Button checks (?!?)

River is A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet, button folds.

I obviously read the button for a high club, which just as clearly he didn't have.

I checkraised the flop to make the singleton clubs pay, but should I have taken the chance that it would be checked around?

With regards to the turn, I don't think checking was the right thing to do, especially since I have no idea what to do if he bets [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comments appreciated.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: flopped a low flush... now what?

My general plan in hands like this is to ram and jam it. Very often a flop like this will be raised by someone holding a big club or pair. I bet with the intention of having someone raise it so I can 3 bet. You may think you may as well announce to the table that you have a small flush when you do this, but often people will not give you credit for your hand.

If a fourth of the suit falls, you usually have to fold to any resistance, but at least to charged the hell out of them when you were in the lead.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:39 PM

Looks like the strategy turned out ok here, but I will usually bet out with a flopped crap flush to, as you say, make one card flush draws pay. Bad board though, but apparently you were good. I probably would have played turn and river the same way.

Play well,
jbc
Old 11-21-2003, 01:22 PM

You check on the turn is fine, but your bet on the river is poor, since most hands he could call (or raise ) with, would have you beat. Otherwise, he'll fold. On the other hand, he might try a bluff on the river if you check.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You check on the turn is fine, but your bet on the river is poor, since most hands he could call (or raise ) with, would have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. A big club would have bet when checked to on the turn and with the A and Q on the board the T-high flush isn't that bad. Also a lot of people will call you here without the flush after you check the turn hoping to chop.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:57 AM

There is little reason for his opponent to bet a king or jack of clubs on the turn. So let's put it this way. If a "good" player calls a bet on the river, our hero loses more times than he wins, which makes betting poor.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is little reason for his opponent to bet a king or jack of clubs on the turn. So let's put it this way. If a "good" player calls a bet on the river, our hero loses more times than he wins, which makes betting poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a K or J, not bet the turn if checked to?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:05 AM

I'd bet right out on this flop. Not many players would ever believe you flopped a flush and you'll trap multiple players for 1 bet on the flop. I'd raise the flop to any resistence also.

Welcome to the forum,
JT
Old 11-24-2003, 09:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would a K or J, not bet the turn if checked to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your opponent has two-pair, a set or a baby straight-flush draw, a K is both the best hand and cannot be overtaken on the river so there is no (or very little) risk in it giving a free card (and conversely little chance that your opponent will call with the hope of redrawing). Betting the turn announces the strength of the hand and may cause a weaker hand to fold. Checking gives the opportunity to induce a bet and/or call on the river.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the turn announces the strength of the hand and may cause a weaker hand to fold. Checking gives the opportunity to induce a bet and/or call on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking the nuts to induce a bluff is poor poker. I see that crap all the time and always laugh at the player doing it.