Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2003, 03:00 AM

Default Is this thinking terribly wrong?

Everyone's favorite: $25 Party NL

UTG+1: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], raise to 2$ ($40 stack), seat to my left calls ($80 stack), BB calls ($20 stack).

I've just sat down, was involved in a hand before to know that the seat to my left isn't the strongest player in the world. No read on the BB; so my normal assumption for party is that he doesn't have a clue.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

pot: $7

BB bets $4, I raise to $10, next folds, BB calls.

turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Up until now play has been pretty standard. But now I have a very vulnerable overpair with a super-coordinated board. This guy could have anything, and here's where I may have gone astray...

BB checks. I bet $6 into a $27 pot, with him having just a $13 stack.

Here's where my screwed up reasoning takes place: if he had a bigger stack, it would make sense to bet this and probably fold to a raise. If I check the turn, the players on party have this habit of making super-large bets after flop-bet, turn-check patterns. I would obviously prefer to check this down, but that will never happen. I've made a decision to play this hand if *I* am the one putting in the bets, but not if he is. Therefore, if I want to stay in the hand, I must bet to prevent the times where he bluffs me out on the river. With this board, there is no way I can call a massive bet on the end...

...but I have a club draw, a gutshot, and a pretty looking overpair so I bet.

BB calls.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He bets $6 all-in, I obviously call because of the massive pot.

It's hard to put him on JT, because he called the raise on the flop and didn't get it all-in on the turn, yet called. It's hard to put him on [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]'s, or the straight for the same reasons. T9 sounds plausible.

comments?

Fistdantilus
Old 11-12-2003, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Is this thinking terribly wrong?

AT
Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 AM

You are correct sir. AhTh. Were you this person? [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Fistdantilus
Old 11-12-2003, 12:07 PM

I think 4 2, with the 2c, since you posted here.

You didn't ask, but I hate your bet on the turn. Either check it and plan to snap off a bluff on the river, or put him all in right there. Betting $6 into a $27 pot, leaving him $6 or $7 makes no sense. If you are behind, he will check-raise you all in and you will call. If you are ahead, you are leaving him good odds to draw, but a chance to get away if he misses.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:58 PM

No. That is the only hand I think he could have based on his play.