Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2003, 05:03 AM

Default 100k in 100 days - Day 25

An update.

I've reached day 25. It's been a trying experience. Some days, I've felt like I just can't do it and other days, I feel like it's really going to happen. Today, I feel like it just might happen.

I booked my 11th 2k day with $2288. I played for only 2 hours and 15 minutes. I've been dealing with a cold lately and I started my poker sessions quite late. I'm of the school that if I don't feel 100% ready to play poker, it's better not to play at all. So, around 4:30pm, I sat down for an hour and a half and picked up a little over $1000. Then, after dinner, I sat down again and was up almost $1300 more after just 45 minutes when a poker player friend called. The games were quite good, but with the success I'd had, I decided it was best to call it a day and talk to my buddy.

Although today was ripe with good luck, I felt that I was on top of my game for once. A complete turnaround to last Sunday's $3000+ loss.

Don't let others dictate your action:

I had good reads on all the players at the three tables when this hand came up. I raised one limper with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], both blinds and the limper call. The flop comes:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me and I bet, all call. Turn brings the:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

To my surprise, the limper bets in front of me. It took me a moment to process this new information, but clearly he's betting a queen here and hoping I don't have him beat and raise. I have him beat and raise. The SB cold calls, BB folds, and the bettor calls. River brings:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The limper, much to my surprise, again bets. I think of possibilities, 96 flashes in my mind. But, I know that the limper does not have 96 - his turn bet makes no sense at all if he has 96. I'm very confident he's worried about me checking the river and he's betting his Q. The BB probably has a pair also and is unlikely to be checking a better hand here. I raise again. The BB calls as well as the limper. A very nice pot is pushed my way. I check the Hand History later and find that BB has AQ and the limper had QT. I was very pleased with this hand and felt that I picked up an extra $40 if not $80 more than most players would here.

Don't bluff a known calling station:

This was a hand from Saturday that I may or may not have played well. My note on this guy reads: "Calling Station Idiot" I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but that's what my notes said prior to the hand in question.

I get dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. SB calls, I check. Flop comes:
7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He had been betting flops heads up blind vs. blind and I've been giving them to him. He bets and this time, for the first time, I raise. He calls. Turn comes:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

He checks, I'm thinking "this is a 'me' card" and I bet, he calls. River brings:

7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I'm very disappointed now that my hand has been ruined, but I go with my instincts that he was on a draw and I bet. He thinks for a long time. The Party countdown reaches 6, 5, 4 and he calls. He has T9 for a winning 8877T. Someone at the table types in "nc". I type in "VNC". I'd hate for him to think that he should stop calling with ten high here.

Anyway, those were just a couple of hands. One, I thought I played well and the other... well, you can make up your own mind about that.

Less is More

Recently, I've gone from 4 tables to 3 and I've brought my hourly rate from under 3.5BBs per table per hour to 3.8BBs per table per hour. I'm just more comfortable on 3 tables. It's much easier to keep track of everyone and I can even check the 2+2 forums once in a while.

It's day 25 and I've passed the 30k mark. Happy with my progress so far, but I realize that it is a long road ahead and I've enjoyed success that may or may not continue.

Best of Luck,

soda
Old 11-10-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Re: 100k in 100 days - Day 25

Soda,

I enjoyed your post. Despite what you may think, I do wish you the best of luck. If I seem doubtful of you reaching your goal, it's not because I think you lack ability, it's just that I don't know if a rate of just under 4BB an hour on 3 tables at once is going to last.

BTW, I thought you played both hands very well.
Old 11-10-2003, 01:09 PM

Glad to hear youre on pace. Are you playing 10/20 short handed or at full ring games? Frankly, if I made 30K in a month, Id call it a year and enjoy myself... but I dont have too many expenses.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's just that I don't know if a rate of just under 4BB an hour on 3 tables at once is going to last.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this either. But, I'm really hoping it is.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

soda
Old 11-10-2003, 04:08 PM

I mostly do the 10/20 short. I wonder if I could be making more by switching to the 15/30 full ring games, but I think it would be a bad move at this point because of the adjustment period. Also, with the higher limit, I'd have even higher swings.

::shudders at the thought::

soda
Old 11-10-2003, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with the higher limit, I'd have even higher swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost positive you would have smaller swings playing 15/30 full games vs. 10/20 6-max.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:41 PM

LOL - funny, I'm almost positive the OPPOSITE would be true and that my swings at 15/30 ring would be higher. It's much more difficult to win hands in a ring game and manufacturing a win is all but nonexistent. Add to that the 50% higher limit and a couple more tables - I'm pretty darn sure I'd have swings higher than 3 or 4 k.

Of course, I may just be running well in the short games and my uptilnow swings may be an inaccurate assessment of what I should expect in this game.

soda
Old 11-10-2003, 06:48 PM

Keep up the good work!

How big is the pool of people that you play against ?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep up the good work!

How big is the pool of people that you play against ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - you too!

I've played against 1681 different peeps in the 10/20 short games and I remember each and every one of them.

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

soda
Old 11-11-2003, 12:32 AM

Nice post. What sites do you play? Is it the same name?
Would be nice to watch you play sometimes but I understand if you want to keep it secret..
Good luck

soda y vino [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] is best

JAque