Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2003, 03:25 PM

Default Playing too timid?

I sit in a live, loose, aggressive 6-12 game at Canterbury. I start with 400 and am down to 100 in about 6 hands. I lose every way possible, but usually with top pair or top 2 to trips, str, flush...etc. I buy another rack of $2s for total buy in of $600...still down $300. I tighten waaaaay up and begin to play a little better and get a few cards. My lamo start has kind of shell shocked me though. I seem to be afraid of the nuts, or at least afraid of trips, etc. 2 hands come to mind where I pulled back and did not raise or reraise, so I did not max out my winnings.

Q5 in the BB. Raised before the flop, I call the raise since I am at least suited and my BB had been raised by the same guy 5 or 6 times before and I was going to play anything. Flop QQJ. I bet, raise, reraise, call, I only call..all call. Turn 2. I bet, call, raise, fold I again only call, I just dont feel comfortable with my kicker. River 4...no flush. I bet, call, RAISE again, I call, and guy on my left calls. I show my Q and win the pot...Was I too wimpy?

2nd hand...37h I was running a little hotter and won a few pots, including the last pot, so I decide to call 2 raises in the SB with my suited hearts - keep in mind I usually play MUCH better cards :-) - 3 see the flop of J84 with 2 hearts. I bet, call, raise, I call, call..Turn is 9h. I have made my flush. I bet, fold, raise, and now I only call. River an A spades. I bet, guy raises me again, I only call again with my baby flush. Guy shows AJ for two pair.

I guess i got what I deserved playing those kind of hands and ending up with bad kickers or low flushes...I just felt a little wimpy after showing my hand each time...thoughts?

I left soon after my made flush up $90...not bad after the initial loss.

Spoody