Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Rivered 2-pair with QQ

Pretty typical game on party 2/4 with the exception of the player on my left who is very loose preflop and somewhat loose after the flop.

I get red Q's in EMP. 2 folds to me and I raise. Loose player (L) calls. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB checks, I bet, L calls, button folds. BB check-raises. I 3-bet, L calls, BB caps, I call, L calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, I call, L folds.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
BB bets, I raise, BB 3-bets, I make the crying call.

My thoughts and the results in another post.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Rivered 2-pair with QQ

BB had 99 for 9's full of 2's and the flopped set.

I think I made some mistakes in this hand, but I don't think I played it as poorly as it might initially seem. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

The flop is pretty good for my Q's -- overpair, top end of an OE, and rainbow board. I think my flop action is pretty routine, anyone disagree?

I think BB check-raises with a wide variety of hands including many I beat (AJ, for example). I 3-bet because I think it's likely my hand is best and if not I have outs to the best hand. Additionally, I'd like to get rid of a hand like K9 that L might have so my 2 Q outs are good. When BB caps I'm pretty sure he has at least 2 pair. I put him on JT.

On the turn the pot is big enough to make a call correct just for my OE, nevermind possible other outs.

Now the river is where it gets interesting. My raise here is the main reason i posted this as it's very debateable. I raised because I felt confident in my JT read (and was sure he would call with JT). Unfortunately, I was a little too confident, and once he 3-bets it should be an easy fold but I didn't have the discipline. After thinking about it afterwards I think it is a mistake, but not by much and especially not (maybe even +EV?) if you can fold for a 3-bet.

I think this is an example of sticking too tight on an early read and not letting go or considering other possibilities. While this could have been a great play, it ended up just making me look like an idiot.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Rivered 2-pair with QQ

I think you can start fearing the flopped set when he caps the flop.