Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 04:54 AM

Default 77 all in

I played a satellite yesterday and I was doing pretty good. We started with 79 players and we were down to the last 12 with me having about 12000 chips and being in third position, when I get 77 on the BB. An LP raises the minimum. I put him on a steal and call (may be my first mistake?)

Flop comes: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He bets out about 2 grands and I set him all in (had him covered about 4 grands). He quickly calls and turns over A3. Of course an Ace had to hit the turn and no 7 on the river to help me. After that hand I was pretty broke.

What do you guys think, did I play allright, or was that a bad play?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:03 AM

Default Re: 77 all in

If you put him on a steal, punish him with a PF raise. This is not a hand to see the flop with if you don't know which overcards hurt you.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:21 AM

you got all your money in with the best hand.. what more do you want?
Old 11-07-2003, 07:54 PM

In my opinion, 77 is a hand you either raise or fold with. I hate to call with it. While its a pretty strong preflop hand, it gets so much weaker as more cards hit the board.

In this case, I wonder if an all in preflop would have made this guy fold anyway. He called an all in with a pair of 3's? Thats pretty desperate IMO.

Coach
www.poker-strategy.org
Old 11-08-2003, 06:16 PM

If you put him on a steal, I think a re-raise PF is your best option. If he calls you with A3, he's really just throwing chips your way in the long run. You made a good play on the flop, and he called with a significantly worse hand. Don't let it shake you, and do it again next time.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:01 PM

I agree with the other posts, if you think he is stealing then punish him. But you have to be careful with this too.

I have seen a lot of players who go all-in on the BB to punish someone in LP makes who makes a min raise/limps. They are punishing so often they must be doing it with pretty weak hands.
If you spot these players you know exactly how to act with your high pocket pairs in LP.
Punishing is still the right thing to do though, just be careful, smart players will nail you out of the tournament if you do it too much.

I think your allin on the flop was a little over-zealous though, don't get completely stuck on the idea of him being a stealer. he could have made that PF min raise with pocket pairs (a bit of a weak raise admittedly)
Now look at the board and think which pocket pairs you would like to be up against... 22 is the only one I can see.
You have plenty of chips, do you really want to risk crippling yourself on a pair of sevens?

You certainly weren't too far off with how you played it, and as it turned out it was a horrible beat.

Tim
Old 11-10-2003, 05:04 AM

Thanx for your answers guys. I see, what I've done wrong. I should have gone all-in preflop, or muck. I guess calling was as so many times, the worst decision.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:10 AM

I don't see how anyone can answer this message without knowing the sizes of the blinds and antes, how many places get paid in this satellite, what the average stack size was, and whether there is any variation in the payout e.g. a few bucks for some places, a seat in a big tourney for some, and a seat plus bucks for others.

Guy.