Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 03:29 PM

Default Flush draw

30-60.

All fold to me in the cut-off and I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Button folds and small blind 3-bets. Small blind is somewhat tricky, but not too aggressive. The 3-bet here means a 3-bet hand. Minimum A-Q if unpaired, minimum pocket 10s if paired.

Big blind calls the double-raise. He's an unknown but seems too loose and not very aggressive. I call and we take the flop 3-handed for 3 bets each.

Flop is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Small blind bets. Big blind raises.

3-bet or call?

Old 10-31-2003, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Flush draw

3-bet. Clean-up your ace outs if he has AQ/AK. Will he fold TT/JJ here? Or 4-bet it? If he folds great, if he 4-bets, you know you have 9 clean and probably 3 As that are good. I think a cold call screams "I'm on a draw, check-fold if a club appears" although you could be a straight draw. What do they know about you? Would a cold-call by you be scarier than a 3-bet? I know some players where this is true. That could be a small argument for cold-calling but I think a 3-bet is a better play.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:42 PM

I will 3 bet 100% of the time even if i know for sure the SB or BB is going to 4 bet.

This is because at this point, you know for sure (almost 100% certain) that you are no good here to either the SB or BB but most likely behind to both. And you know you MUST make your flush to win, because there are probably no turn and river card going to scare both of them to fold.

Therefore, by 3 betting, if they just call and check on turn, you will get a free card. if one of them reraise (i believe the other will call), you will get 2:1 on every bet you put in, and that is fine odds for making your flush anyway.

only unless you think by 3 betting,
1) SB will 4 bet, given you read on his hand, with an over pair, AND BB will fold - which is unlikely, since you read him as "not too aggressive", he might have an over pair beat already.
2) SB doesn't have a pair but just AQ or AK, and will fold to your 3 bet, AND BB will 4 bet since he has flopped big, Over pair, or two pair, or a set, or a straight.

but I think chances are both of them will come along, and you will either built a huge pot or get a free turn card. either way, it's a good situation.

well i think you surely know all of these points already. So, did you 3 bet?

Kenny
Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 PM

one more point for 3 betting: if you DO drive out SB holding AK or AQ, you might gain 2 more outs.

or might not, but it's an added bonus.

Kenny
Old 11-01-2003, 03:15 AM

Default My play and the turn

I raised. Small blind capped. Big blind called and I called.

The turn was the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Small blind took a long pause and then checked. Big blind checked.

Bet or check?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:23 PM

Default Re: My play and the turn

Your chances to pick up the pot with a bet here should be nearly as miniscule as your chances of having the best hand, so I would gratefully accept the free card.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:17 AM

I did.

River was A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

To recap: Board is: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Small blind has bet the flop. Big blind raised. I 3-bet. Small blind capped and big blind and I called.

Turn was checked around.

Now on the river the small blind bets and the big blind calls.

Fold, call, or raise?
Old 11-02-2003, 02:33 AM

As a wise man once said, "expensive free card."
Old 11-02-2003, 02:33 AM

hey we already figured out you were on a flush draw and ONLY a flush draw right? and maybe an A is good but that's just icing (maybe the poison kind, doesnt matter though).

a check here is the ONLY play.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:35 AM

nice post andy... call the river because the pot is big.