Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Quad Nines and Dr. Al

Al, it looks like your turn in the barrel for a while. Quad Nines has taken to attacking you with the support of TD Lowball. I wonder what it is about some of my favorite authors that bothers these guys so much?

Quad Nines Post on RGP
Old 10-29-2003, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Quad Nines and Dr. Al

Hi Wake Up:

As far as I can tell, Quad Nines is the same person (or persons) who was posting on these forums as Mark Glover and Mark Glover's Editor, and who was barred from here. In addition, I believe that the attacks on Dr. Al are really attacks on me. As for TD Lowball, I have no idea who that is.

I think what is happening, and it is very common in business, is that when you achieve success there are some jealous people who will take shots at you and it's hard to come up with a rational reason for why they do it. So in a sense, these shots are a measure of our success.

The Psychology of Poker has not only sold very well, but it has been more successful, and continues to sell at quick a good clip, than we ever thought was possible. So perhaps this is what drives Quad Nines crazy.

Best wishes,
mason
Old 10-29-2003, 02:10 AM

I have no idea why some people choose to attack me, and I don't care. I never go to RGP because there is so much nastiness there.

If quad nines, whom I have never met (at least not by that name) has chosen to attack me, that's his problem. I don't hide behind a phony name, taking shots at people.

However, I must say that those shots almost certainly put money in my pocket. They give me publicity, and some people will buy my book just to see what all the fuss is about.

So my only remark to quad nines and anyone else who attacks me or my book is, "Thank you for the publicity."

Regards,

Al
Old 10-29-2003, 02:38 AM

They did raise some legitimate questions about the usefulness of your book. I would appreciate it if you would respond to them.
The title of your book is brilliant. That is probably the reason why it sells so well. Poker is a game of psychology, so many players feel they need to read your book. Do you really feel they learn the "psychology of poker" from reading your book? I totally believe your book sells good. I sold my copy on Ebay with no problem, lots of bidding.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:05 AM

This thread just reminded me to add your book to my shopping list. Publicity in motion. Cheers! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 04:33 AM

You asked: "Do you really feel they learn the 'psychology of poker' from reading your book?"
My answer is quite simple: "No, they can learn SOME of the psychology of poker, but NO book can teach all of such a complex subject.
Exactly the same principle applies to ALL complicated subjects. There is no such thing as a complete book of math or medicine or hold’em. Any book which tries to teach all of a complicated subject is CERTAIN to fail.
Every well crafted book is directed at a clearly defined target audience. Two Plus Two has two books on hold’em, and they are directed at different audiences. Because Mason is the industry’s best publisher, he published two poker psychology books on the same day. Mine is for relatively inexperienced players. John Feeney's "Inside the poker mind" is for more advanced players. John and I have repeatedly told readers this difference.
On the back cover of my book there is a quotation which clearly states the target audience. Chris Ferguson, Winner of the 2000 World Series of Poker, stated: “An excellent guide for those players just starting out.”
For years I have heard criticisms that my book does not provide much help to advanced players. My answer is that it was not written for them. Criticizing it for not doing what it was never intended to do is silly. It’s the same as telling the author of a basic anatomy text that it is not helpful to practicing physicians. Of course, it’s not. It wasn’t written for them.
If you are part of its target audience, I believe it will be very helpful. That’s probably why Andy Glazer, who had never met me, said it was “The poker book of the year 2000.”
If you are an advanced player, I will repeat the advice I have given many times: Buy “Inside the poker mind.”
However, I must make a point that appears all the time in my writing. It is the subject of my current column at cardplayer.com. Most people overestimate their abilities. Mason wanted to call their book “Professional Hold’em.” David said to “Hold’em Poker for Advanced Players” because everybody thinks he is an advanced player.” You may not be as advanced as you think you are.
I think it is significant that Mark Gregorich, one of the world’s best Omaha players, included it on his list of “Ten books that have benefited me.” Mark is a great player, and he barely knows me. But he knows the value of working on the basics. That is ALL my book does: teach people those indispensable basics.
Regards,
Al
Old 10-29-2003, 01:16 PM

I was already an advanced player when Al's book came out, and it helped me out a lot. It clarified in distinct terms what I intuitively already knew. It also taught me lots of stuff I didn't know, and helped me realize the aspects of my own personality and game that were important to see. So thinking that advanced players won't benefit from Al's book is just plain wrong.

However, beginners will get more immediate benefit from it than advanced players. So what. That's who it was written for.

I should say that when I post my own "required reading" list, Al's book is always in the top five.

I read the post on RGP. Anyone can twist words around and make any point they like if they try hard enough. Heck, I could argue that Mason recommends a loose passive style, I'd just have to quote select passages from various sources out of context to prove it.

al
Old 10-29-2003, 04:56 PM

Dr. Al would surely tell you that the most unsatisfying response to any behavior is to be ignored. One variation of this is the dictum that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I always figure I learn something from idiots even those with bad taste. I tend to forget how many poker players (and people in general) have much of their behavior guided by misconceptions, misplaced anger, poor self-confidence or what-have-you.

So, I doubt that Al needs defending or even feels a need to defend himself. And, hey, don't educate the idiots right?
Old 10-29-2003, 05:58 PM

Default Teachers realize the benefit from \"structure\" to knowledge...

Teachers realize the benefit from "structure" to knowledge...and Dr. Al is a teacher...Many of us know all or most of the points in the book, but the organized method of evaluating gives us a fast solution and one that we can feel confident that we have good reason to trust our own judgment at the table...

It is no good to have a lot of knowledge that isn't organized...my classic example as a teacher is to give the string of numbers...1,2,4,9,16,25,36,49...most of you would know that the next number is 64, but instead of remembering all the numbers, just remember the process...of x squared..or x times x...then you don't have to count on your fingers for the correct number on the list...you just perform the calculation "weak tight" I will probably do best with this bet or call or strategy..."passive whatever...you get the drill...we process patterns, not just individual factoids.

The book gives us the patterns.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:30 PM

The most important thing to learn in any sport, game or in life in general is the fundamentals. Mikail Tal was one of the most imaginative players in chess history. His combinations were legendary. He said that he regularly restudied the basic movement of the pieces even after he became a grandmaster and World Champion.

Dr. Al's book is aimed at more elementary players but anyone at any level can learn about psychological aspects of the game by reviewing fundamentals in this area, and also by reading Feeney.

Ragnar