Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2003, 07:06 AM

Default 50-100 Stop and Go

4-way 50-100 game. Fairly decent opponents. Player utg opens with a raise, folded to me in BB and I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I reraise and it's headsup to the flop.

Flop-9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, he calls.

Turn-9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, he bets, I call.

River-9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, he thinks for a few seconds and calls.

My reasoning was that if I checked the turn when the Ace scarecard hits, I might induce a bluff from a hand that would normally just muck to a bet. Also, if I'm behind to a bigger Ace, I save money. The board wasn't too drawtastic so I thought this might be an ok play. Betting the river might get a curiosity call from a worse hand that would more than likely check it through. Thoughts on this play? Too fancy? Was the most money extracted? Thanks.

F.Y.I.- opponent held 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 10-28-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: 50-100 Stop and Go

Well played.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:21 PM

Hey PokerPrince,

Beautifully played on every street, IMHO. The only thing that I'm curious about is what you would have done had he raised the river?

ML4L
Old 10-28-2003, 08:22 PM

You played this hand very well but I think your opponent played it poorly. He should definitely have checkraised the flop, and his calls after the ace falls on the turn seem very weak-tight to me. If you don't play 66 aggressively when you get a flop like 943, when can you play it aggressively?

I might accept the logic that he is trying to let you dig your own grave with aggression, but even then he should get out when the ace falls on the turn. I also don't like the play as it gives you relatively cheap draws to your 6 outs. In the worst case scenario, you have a better PP and he is drawing extremely thin.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:04 PM

Short handed against this opponent in this situation I call.

PokerPrince
Old 10-28-2003, 09:06 PM

You can checkraise acting last now? Hmmm, must have changed the rules while I was in the washroom.

PokerPrince
Old 10-29-2003, 10:41 AM

Oops, I mistyped. I meant raise, not checkraise.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:43 AM

I disagree with all the other responses. If your opponent is a good player, I think you played it poorly.

Even if it's 4-handed, reraising from the BB means something. Typically a big ace or pocket pair, with sometimes KQ and the like.

Now if you check on the ace, a good opponent should realize some stuff. First, you could have the big ace, looking for a check-raise or inducing a "bluff" from a worse hand. In this case your opponent absolutely doesnt want to bet. Second, you dont have the ace. From preflop read you could have a pocket pair. No way he is going to bluff you out in a 4-handed game if you have this. If your pocket pair is bigger, he wants to draw, if not, you have very little outs. Again, no reason for him to bet.

You have KQ and the like. Now, ofcourse, he wants to bet. But wait...isnt the A on the turn the perfect card for you to continue bluffing at? So, likelyhood of a bluff on your side goes down.

Summary: a good player will check here a lot of the times. If he holds an ace its close between betting and checking for him. He shouldnt be afraid of letting you draw and he might get (too) thin value-bets from you on the river if he checks (for instance a pocket pair while he made second best on the river). OTOH you might pay of with smaller pocket pairs the whole way. But, you might raise a better ace as well. So here it's close between checking and betting for him.

So, lots of hands he should check. But if you had bet, he would likely call with lots of pairs and draws (flush, 65).

If your opponent is a non-thinker who loves to bluff your play has merits. Against a good player it costs you.

One reason why your play CAN be good against a good player is if he makes a second best hand after checking the turn. Then you will often get paid of. But that isnt enough to prefer checking the turn IMO.

Regards
Old 10-29-2003, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4-way 50-100 game. Fairly decent opponents. Player utg opens with a raise, folded to me in BB and I hold A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I reraise and it's headsup to the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice play! the only part I am confused about is the reraise out of the big blind. what was your reasoning with that, maybe slow him down on the flop, else if he caps preflop then you know where you're at?

--turnipmonster
Old 10-29-2003, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the only part I am confused about is the reraise out of the big blind. what was your reasoning with that, maybe slow him down on the flop, else if he caps preflop then you know where you're at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a value bet 4 handed