Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 02:10 PM

Default Too far with a Full House??

My question is did I go too far with this hand and when should I known I am against AA?

Playing $4-$8 at the Horseshoe in LMP and get KK. Couple of limpers and a raise from a player to my right. He is a retired older man who is fairly good and plays almost every day. I reraise which knocks everyone out except the raiser who calls me.

Flop is 9 9 9
which gives me a full house.

He raises, I reraise, he reraises and I think I just called.

Turn 7
I am fairly confident he doesn't have a 9 or a 7 because of the preflop and flop raising so I think I am in the lead.

He raises I reraise a couple of raises later I just call.

River, low card

He raises I think I just call.

He shows AA and I lose a bunch of money.
When should I go into a check-call mode and when should I know he probably has me beat?

Thanks in advance,
SirRaleigh

Old 10-27-2003, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Too far with a Full House??

You can slow down on the turn when a rockish old man takes you to three bets with a 999 board. The flop is fine, because you're setting him up for a raise on the turn, but when he takes it to three you should put the brakes on. AA vs. KK, you're going to lose a crap ton of money, it's the poker food chain at work. You maybe could've saved like one BB at most probably. Not that big of a deal.

By the way, the first action on the flop, turn and river is a bet, not a raise. I kept thinking there were crazy check-raises happening on every street before I realized that you meant "bet".
Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM

Yea, I will say raise instead of bet and get corrected by the dealer then just do it again the next hour after a couple 2 or 3 drinks.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:36 PM

In the realm of big pair, you are number two on the board. You won't win em all, but you will win most of them.

As for the hand, you say he is an older man, fairly good who plays almost every day. After the flop, splitting the pot and perhaps losing to AA should come to mind. He had to consider you have AA and he's not worried because he's reraising you.

In general I think you did all right with the hand
Old 10-27-2003, 02:39 PM

You were destined to lose and lose big here. Ugh. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

After a hand like this, I think about how happy I was before to see K-K, and after, I wish I just had 7-3o and folded.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:50 PM

I didn't mind the beat, cause its just part of the game, but I think I should of realized he had AA or KK and did a check-call on the turn. It took me all night to recover from this one bad beat.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:24 PM

After the first 50 or so you will find it doesn't bother you so much. I have seen many players go much farther in before they have a glimmer that they are beat.

It took me almost a year to realize some calling stations don't fold and even longer to realize most rocks don't bluff!