Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Good all in or not...

I have to how or if I was wrong to go all in on this one.

Folded to me in MP with JTo, I call. Two behind call, CO raises 75T (he's raised every hand so far, including all-in on the first hand to win 55T), button calls, I call, two others fold. 3 see flop...

*** FLOP *** : [ Tc Qs 9s ]

I check, CO bets 120T, Button calls, I call.

*** TURN *** : [ Tc Qs 9s ] [ Td ]

I check (plan on check raising, I know CO will bet), CO bets 180T, button raises (?) 400, I raise all-in 805T. CO folds, Button calls.

Any thoughts? Was it a good all-in? Any idea what button had? I'll share results a little later...
Old 10-23-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Good all in or not...

KJ? A10?

One of the problems I've found with marginal hands like J10 is that you can hit a good board and still lose. I've busted out of several tournaments by hitting a BB hand that I got to see for free, say 85o with a flop of 88x, only to discover that I have gone all-in to A8.

Each time I resolve to not let this happen again, but as I say, it's happened several times, so you can see how much good that resolve has done me.

For your sake I hope he had AQ.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:29 PM

Amix,

Give some more details. You just jumped right in and forgot to set the stage. What did the blind bets cost? What stage in the tourney did this take place? How many players left?

As for how you played it, I do not like to check raise in no limit. I do not like the flop call. I do not like the preflop call.

Other than that I guess you played it ok.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM

Sorry MG, I mentioned it in the initial subject, but then I changed it. It was a $10 SNG, sixth game. So it was 5/10 limit at the time. Since I'm posting anyway, I'll just say that the river was rag 2 and the button had 99 for a full house, knocking me out just 5 games in. Now that I know how bad the play was, care to elaborate why you don't like check raising in NL? I'm still pretty green at NL tourneys.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:00 PM

I'm not sure why you called with that hand and I really don't know why you then called the raise. Your hand is not a good hand to be doing either with -- especially the raise since you now could be dominated with a QJ, KJ or AJ.

The problem with your all-in was that I would be concerned that the button had KJ, pulled the straight on the flop and slow played it for one card. That's what his raise on the turn would look like to me. Why else would he raise a bet with 2 players in when the T came up? Did he think he could bluff you both off your hands? Of course he had something even better, but he did slow play his set on the flop as I guessed he was doing. So I don't like any of your plays.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:00 PM

With the blinds at 5/10, calling a 7.5X BB raise is a definite no-no with J10o. Had he made a wuss 2X BB raise, you're right to call at this blind level. Anything more, you have to fold.

The PF raiser bets out and gets called. Your only hope, essentially, lies on hitting your six-outer (the three non-spade eights and kings), and neither gives you the nut straight, or running 10s or jacks. In no limit, you have essentially nothing right now.

Your trips, in the face of a sizable bet by the PF raiser and a reraise to you with this coordinated, paired, two-flush board never, in any situation, warrant an all-in reraise here. Plus, you had already decided to push all-in on the CO without taking the button's actions into account.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:46 PM

Now that I know how bad the play was, care to elaborate why you don't like check raising in NL?

When a player check raises in limit, the player usually does it to protect his or her hand. Sometimes the player check raises in an effort to trap someone. In no limit a player can make a bet big enough to protect his or her hand. In no limit I have found that a check raise more often than not, will trap the check raiser.

I'm still pretty green at NL tourneys.

Keep posting hands. You will get good feedback from here. Welcome aboard.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:29 AM

I usually agree with MG on most of what I read but in this instance I have to disagree (mildly). In NL play, the opportunity to check raise for value does present itself in certain circumstances. I do agree that it can be a trap for the raiser particularly early in the hand but in the later stages (after the turn or river) can be a very effective tool to take the hand outright or add value to the pot. This is very effective when up against an opponent who is likely to fold when faced with a huge initial bet against an aggressive player or against an aggressive player with a less than stellar hand. It is not a tactic that can be used often but if you pick your spots can be profitable.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:59 AM

It is not a tactic that can be used often but if you pick your spots can be profitable

True enough. However in the posters situation, I would not have check raised. I have very rarely had the opportunity to check raise in a no limit tournament. I cannot say that I have not check raised, however I usually pick my spots very carefully.

In NL play, the opportunity to check raise for value does present itself in certain circumstances. I do agree that it can be a trap for the raiser particularly early in the hand but in the later stages (after the turn or river) can be a very effective tool to take the hand outright or add value to the pot.

I agree with this however for new players I think check raising will cost more than it will earn in the long run.

A more sophisticated player against a newer player will avoid the check raise, or intentionally walk into the check raise.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:15 AM

However in the posters situation, I would not have check raised.

I absolutely agree with you there...no way would I be check raising in that situation.

I agree with this however for new players I think check raising will cost more than it will earn in the long run.

You and I agree here. Newer players should play as straightforward as possible IMO.