Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 AM

Default Beginner requires help on big blind top pair weak kicker hand

I would really like some help on this hand, which I completely misplayed. All constructive criticism gratefully accepted.

Playing $0.1 $0.25 at Planet Poker. Typically loose passive micro-limit game.

4 limpers to me in BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 to the flop:

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB leads out with a bet and I decide to raise

1 MP calls 2 cold and SB calls: 3 to the turn

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] gives me a gutshot

SB checks and I bet - is this a crazy play [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Worse to come I fear MP raises SB calls and I call [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

River 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] now I've made 2 pairs but don't fancy my chances.

SB & I check MP bets we both call and MP takes it down with a rivered straight. His turn raise was actually a good semi-bluff on a strong drawing hand.

SB had 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a flopped 2 pair
MP had 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flush and gutshot draw.

Now how many mistakes did I make. I generally play tight (which is enough to win at these levels) but in the BB I frequently find I am playing hands I would have normally folded pre-flop and I have difficulty with these hands.

My view on the flop was that this is a situation where I should fold or raise. Is this correct thinking? Reading these forums has helped me become more aggressive and I try to avoid being a calling station. I find it hard to fold top pair, but given at these levels almost all players will play any A, perhaps I should fold. Anyway I thought a raise was in order, to thin the field and reduce the odds for any drawing hands.

The Turn - OK this is where I really screwed up. I guess that part of the reason for raising on the flop is to get a free card on the turn, so having succeeding in getting a free card I am sure I should have checked here. The reason I bet was that I thought SB cannot be too strong since he only checked and I was worried about giving the MP a free card, if he was on a flush or straight draw.

I suspect that my next play was the worse one of the lot. When the MP raises I should assume that I am beat and get out fast. A leak of mine is that I find it hard to fold after I have made a bet (or called) on the same betting round.

On the river when I flopped 2 pair, I find it hard to fold. Actually I am now getting 13 - 1 odds so I think a call is automatic here. I would be interested if anyone would fold on the river.

I look forward to hearing your views. Am I being too critical of my play or am I really playing like a fish [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2003, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Beginner requires help on big blind top pair weak kicker hand

I think you played every street perfectly.

Lost wages
Old 10-23-2003, 09:28 AM

i think your analysis of your own play is pretty good.

i do not consider MP's turn raise to be a good semi-bluff in a typical loose passive game. when there have been two players betting and raising on the flop and one of them is betting into you on the turn, he is not going to fold.

you can argue that MP has 14 outs to trips or better on the river, but why would he want to raise and give the small blind a chance to fold when he has virtually zero chance of winning the pot right away?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:35 AM

I think you played all streets well, as well. The bet by the SB on the flop gave you the perfect chance to raise and force the rest of the field to call two. Good. On the turn you should lead out after the flop raise and you have to call on the river after you hit your two pair. MP had a ton of outs on the turn and he got one on the river. Nice hand, bad result.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:41 AM

I would probably check-call the turn but you played it fine IMO.

Guido