Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 11:27 PM

Default 2 Hands AA & KK

Stars Loose/Aggressive

I'm in MP, and dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Everyone Calls to me I Raise Everyone Calls 9 See the Flop

J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB/BB check UTG Bets, 2 fold, I plus 2 other call, SB calls BB Folds.

[J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB Bets, EP Raises, I call, Everyone else folds and SB calls.

[J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks EP Bets, I Raise, SB Folds, EP Raises, I Call
EP: shows [9d Jh] (three of a kind, Jacks)

How did I play this Hand & Should I have been more aggressive and if so could you explain? I would appreciate any comments

Next Hand

Stars Loose/Aggressive

I'm in LP, and dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP calls, 4 fold 1 call, I Raise, SB calls BB folds EP Calls & MP Calls.

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB Checks, EP Bets, MP Calls, I Call & SB Calls.

[9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, EP Bets, MP and I Call, SB Folds

[9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EP Bets, MP and I call.

EP: shows [6d Tc] (a pair of Sixes)
MP: shows [8h Qh] (a straight, Five to Nine)

I'm not sure if i'm playing these big pairs aggressive enough. I would appreciate any comments
Old 10-22-2003, 11:32 PM

Default Re: 2 Hands AA & KK

The first hand I would have raised after the flop. You have the overpair. You might have been able to knock him out with middle pair by showing you had K or higher pair by betting.

The second hand I'm not sure you could have done anything. He flopped an open ended straight draw. But staying in MP after a raise with Q8s? Let him do that more often, you will win money.

Good Luck
-NoTalent
Old 10-22-2003, 11:39 PM

Hand 1 - Why are you raising the river? Are you not even remotely concerned he has a jack?

Hand 2 - Raise the flop. You are letting the draws proceed too cheaply.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:39 PM

I don't get your play in hand 1. You just call the two bets on the turn, but then you raise the river? Huh? This is the sort of play that I see all the time from online games. This never seems to happen in my live games. What is the line of thinking behind this?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 PM

Well on the turn there was a bet then it was raised, I just called "I didn't think that I needed to make it 3 bets, so that's why I posted the hand so I could learn from it" Looking back on it making it 3 bets would of that helped I don't know. On the river I didn't put anyone on 3 of a kinda and thought someone might have had a pairs of kings at best! So I raised.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:38 AM

You can sense that you didn't play these hands well, and that's good. Because you made several errors here.

Hand 1: You HAVE to raise this flop against 9 opponents. Given your PF raise, that KJ on the flop has given someone a big draw, so why make it cheap on them? Heck, you're giving anyone with bottom pair proper odds to take a card off and get a freak two pair or trips. And when five see the paired-up turn, there isn't a doubt in my mind that a jack is out there. Why raise the river? Did you honestly expect someone not to have a jack here?

Hand 2: Again, there are huge draws out there with this flop. Why are you letting people get cheap cards? If it makes you feel better, the MP played his hand worse than you did -- a raise on the turn is definitely in order with a straight and a draw to a flush. Ditto for the river with him holding the 2nd nut straight.

Your big pairs lose value with each additional player in the pot. As a result, the more people in, the more help you need from the flop. AA is by no means bulletproof against large fields (you win only about 35 percent of the time). How do you thin the field? By raising.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:44 AM

Default Notalent ... MP flopped a gutshot, not an open-ender

Even more reason to raise and make him pay for entering with trash hands. Now, when the turn gives him a straight and a flush draw, you're pretty much screwed. Fortunately for Swen, MP played trash, was rewarded, only not to take full advantage of it with a raise on the turn and/or river.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:34 AM

AA is a really strong hand. You have 7 players left when the flop action gets to you. You raise to get information and make chasers pay. Now, maybe the guy with the J wouldn't have folded his middle pair but at least you would put the decision to him. The J is not gonna hit the turn very often so he is gonna pay and pay and pay over hands in the future...
Old 10-23-2003, 08:41 AM

Hand One:

Good preflop raise. On the flop you should raise. The turn I would call and on the river I make the crying call, I would certainly not raise when my opponent has all but told me he has a Jack.

Hand Two:

Good raise preflop, horrible call on the flop. RAISE the flop !!! You have draws galore against your Kings. You have a vunerable hand. Raise to protect it. MP flopped a monster hand. He flopped the open ender with a backdoor flush draw. You need to make these types of hands pay.

Learn to put your foot on the gas. Raise the draws.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Notalent ... MP flopped a gutshot, not an open-ender

[ QUOTE ]
Notalent ... MP flopped a gutshot, not an open-ender

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] oops! Sorry about that, read the question too fast.