Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 08:43 AM

Default should I have slowed down on the river?

In my neverending quest to become suitably aggressive, I've run into a couple places where I may have pushed too far... One hand...

Party 1/2- 10 players, tighter then the usual 1-2 table, but not a lot tighter.

I get 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button, UTG and UTG+1 fold, MP1 and MP2 and LP1 and LP2 limp, I raise, the blinds fold and all 4 limpers call. So 5 players seeing the flop.

Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] MP1 raises, MP2 folds, LP1 calls, LP2 reraises, I 3-bet and MP1 caps. All call. 4 players to see the turn (and a pretty full pot)

Turn comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Check to LP2, who bets, I raise, MP1 reraises, LP1 folds, LP2 caps, MP1 and I call. 3 Players to the river.

River is 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], MP1 bets, LP1 raises.

This is where I'm worried. I've had the best hand all the way through (unless someone limped with AA), but I'm thinking that I'm up against at least one set... If I'm up against a set of 6's, no problems, but that river 3 has me spooked. Should I have been concerned about that river 3 making someone quads, or should I have 3-bet and called the cap?

I decided to 3-bet and it was capped. Results later.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:49 AM

Default Re: should I have slowed down on the river?

3-bet the river.

Also, refer to HEPFAP, page 25, regarding raising with 3 or 4 limpers PF with your hand (the passage is about JJ but should apply to TT as well).
Old 10-22-2003, 09:11 AM

This was a nicely played hand all the way through by you. I would 3 bet the river every time.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the reference concerning the PF raise, I wasn't sure about that one and I'll take a look when I get home. I did 3-bet and call the cap and it worked out ok. I thought it was the right play at the time, especially since a player might have been betting a flush with that third [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I'm just trying to tilt too far to the stupidly aggressive side of the spectrum [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The LP had the sixes for a smaller full house.
The EP had.... A-6o for the powerful 2 pair