Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Default I feel like Phil Hellmuth

The following was a hand played in a party multi-table tournament with blinds at 50-100. Player 1 has 3765 chips, player 2 has 1370, and our hero has around 1500.

Utg raises to 620. Our hero from MP looks down and sees T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Normally I would fold to an UTG raise of this size but I had seen this player raise this amount with hands like KJ from the very same positon. I decided to take a shot at doubling up. I'm almost certain that player 1 doesn't have JJ-AA because I had also seen them slow play a big pocket pair. I raise all-in and to my surprise Player 2 from the BB calls and Player 1 calls the remaining amount.

Flop comes [ 8c, 8s, Jh ]. Turn [Kd]. River [Ad]. As I expected player 1 was weak and turns up 77 but here's the kicker BB turns up Qc10d (the famous hand that Varkonyi knocked Phil Hellmuth out of the 2002 WSOP) for the rivered straight. I say nice hand and exit the tournament. So basically my 10's dominated both hands pre-flop. I guess I'm just wondering when I'm going to start winning when I have the advantage pre-flop (the day before I was knocked out with KK vs AK). I'm just wondering what others would do in this situation and at this stage of the tournament. Usually I try not to mess with stacks that are larger than mine but in this case felt that I had the best hand. Let me know what you think.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Re: I feel like Phil Hellmuth

it's online, remember that. Everyone is alwasy drawing to everything so when you win you did real good. Remember that you won with this about fifty times but they mucked and you don't remember. You could have just called preflop then gone all in, but my bet is the gut shot draw would have called anyway./
Old 10-21-2003, 08:21 PM

Against those actual hands (except for the two Td..which I assumed was in your hand and the Ts with the Q), you are only a coin flip to win. TT is a small pair at a full table and should limp or fold to a raise (as you said you normally do). The problem is you read the bettor's hand right and still are only 50/50 with one out of 5 or 6 calling behind you...why would you want to be all in?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:54 PM

"why would you want to be all in? "

Easy, because half the time you triple up or more.

Craig
Old 10-21-2003, 11:25 PM

...And the chances were high he'd be head-up vs the loose UTG player.

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 01:01 AM

Heads up with a loose UTG player who he reads for bad overcards that are still nearly even money against his 10-10. Against loose players you want to outplay them post flop becuse they are playing junk and will call to the river with top pair-crap kicker, not go all-in on a coin flip preflop.