Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 01:24 AM

Default Dumbest Hand Ever Played - Channeling Moneymaker w/o the luck

SET UP TO THE WORST PLAY EVER: Doing very well at the Fall Classic $1000 NLHE Tourney at Canterbury...started with t2K and was up to about 6K pretty early on. Won an all in race with my AK v QQ. Won a middle sized pot with AA, then lost a slightly bigger pot with AA to QT, but still doing well. get KK about 4 hours in to the tourney as the blinds are just beginning to hurt, I still have 6K, facing a big raise from UTG from loose aggresive player (I am in the BB) I reraise all in, he calls with AQ and hits his magic ace on the turn to bring be right back to 2k. Now I am steaming...I move all in 6 times in the next hour and get no callers, I had playes A9o, KJs, KQ, A4h, Q6o and another junk hand...I am back to 6K after calling a desperation all in with A8 and he has A4. Still steaming though about my Kings. Get moved to another table and see 3 stacks from 15-20K. Now I am really bothered since that should have been me with my Kings winning and haveing 12K+. 5 of my first 6 hands at the table I have Ax suited but psycho next to me has raised half of my stack every hand....so here we go....

THE WORST PLAY EVER:
One orbit is costing 1100 in tourney chips, I am pretty close to 5K now. 75 players left from close to 300 (not sure but it was over 200). I am in the cutoff. UTG limps, desperado 2 to my right goes all in with about 1500, Psycho raises to raises 3000. I look down and see 33. To win this tourney I needed chips. Psycho has raised every hand since I sat down with no callers. I put desperado on high cards, but I just have NO idea what psycho has. Do I lay down my lamo pair and wait for a better shot? NO! I look at all those chips and tell myself I can fade a few high cards and get my stack up where it belongs. "ALL IN" fold, fold, fold, Psycho wants to count me down, but then says it doesnt matter because hes calling and has be way covered. I think we know the end of the story, desperado has KJ and Psycho has AA. I cannot pull a 3 and walk out feeling like a total idiot. I tried to convince myself it was an ok gamble because I really did need to get a lot more chips, and I was beginning to get crunched by the blinds, but I still had 5 orbits to go. I gotta stop watching the ESPN reruns of MM playing his 33 like aces.

Spoody

btw - I felt pretty good about my play, because aside from my all-ins, I NEVER flopped ANYTHING. Not once. And was still able to build a nice little pile of chips...until those stupid KKs lost. Amazing what some bluffing can do for you.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Dumbest Hand Ever Played - Channeling Moneymaker w/o the luck

Not real sure how this is similar to Moneymaker at all. He got all the money in on a ragged flop with 33 when he correctly read his opponent for 2 high cards. You moved in with 33 against an all in and a "psycho" that only had to call 2K more with the pot close to 10K. I don't see a similarity.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:08 PM

Spoody,

From one of your earlier posts

I do understand what you are saying, I have been tempted to call 4 all inners in a tournament with 65s. I guessed they all had high cards and my low cards might actually be good. There was AK, AQ, AJ and TT, I would have flopped a straight and won easily...but I sat there like an idiot (a tight idiot) and was out at the blinds about 15 hands later

Now you see why you should wait for a solid hand. People do not usually make these types of bets without the goods.

Better luck next time.

My advice, work on not steaming your money away.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:45 PM

Um, not exactly the same, but close enough for me. Money did play his threes pretty hard. Granted different scenario. He did play 88 against Brene's AA and got very lucky. So I admit dumb play, and seeing 33 (I always think of MM when I see them) and going agianst AA was kind of funny and reminded me of Money. I did not get lucky with my three, like MM did with his eight, on a bad play by me. Rip me on the move, I knew he would call if that makes you want to rip harder, but not on the poetic license.

Spoody
Old 10-17-2003, 06:51 PM

Yes, had worked through the steaming and the tilted again when I got to the new table with the giant stacks. I dont think I would make the move again, but you always learn something about yourself, and I HATE to get blinded down. Do need to work on patience in that situation.

In this particular situation, the guy got me, I was not exaggerating about his giant bets 5 hands in a row. I guessed he couldnt bring the goods 6 times in a row, but he had them when he needed them.

Like I said in my post. I think I played quite well other than that. I always can play better. I will post a couple hands and see where I might have been able to play better, My losing AA and KK come to mind.

Thx,
Spoods