Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2003, 10:24 PM

Default I throw myself before the SS court

Stars micro limit. Full table. Loosey Goosey as usual. A couple players I respect, most I don't.

I'm dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. 4 call, SB completes, I check.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB check, I bet, EP fold, , MP call,LP call, Button raises, SB calls, I 3 bet, Mp fold, Lp call, Button caps, MP and I call. 3 to the turn.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, LP call, Button raises, I 3 bet, LP calls, Button caps, I call, LP calls

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, LP calls, Button raises, I 3 bet, LP FOLDS, button caps, I call.

32 BB

Comments on my play.

Results below
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'

Button turned over ...... anticipation....... 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the higher straight.

I never considered the higher straight and put him on a set or possibly 2 pair. Was I wrong in ramming my incredible flop to the end?

I await my punishment

Thanx
Jim
Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Default Re: I throw myself before the SS court

I would have slowed down on the river, maybe even just check-called. I would have been very concerned about a set or KJ or KQ getting there. A lot of these micro-limit players don't push their good hands preflop so they could be coming in with QQ or JJ.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:53 PM

I think you have to calm down after he caps the turn. AT has to be at least a consideration after he raises the turn and an almost certainty after he caps the turn. Check-call the river.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:18 PM

You have to slow down on the river. Since the full house possibility showed up at the end, I would check-call. If a blank comes, I'd bet and call a raise. You definitely overplayed the river. Learn to start thinking on multiple levels, i.e. What does he think I think he think I have, and so on.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:57 PM

A lowly newbie's thoughts:

I don't think what you did was an uncommon mistake. I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Online, the difference between nuts and aggression can be subtle and it takes experience to learn to identify them.

Knowing your oppponent better would be the only way to tell the difference between this one and the loose-aggressive players common to micro limit. These miracle flops are rare enough that we can easily fall into a pattern of dismissing them early for fear of seeing monsters and missing bets on winning hands. Also, I think the fast pace of online play puts us in a rythm which can keep us from taking that extra second or two to think about a play.

Chock it up to experience and use it to reinforce the desire to keep improving on discipline and note taking.

I know this isn't hand analysis, but on the off chance that it might be relevent to your play of the hand, I hope it is of some use.

Keep hammering them.

Old 10-11-2003, 12:14 AM

your flop cap was fine. on the turn i would probably slow down after the button is willing to give me this much action on such a dangerous board, but your play is not that bad.

your river play, however, is insane. you just said you put him on two pair or a set. why are you continuing to bet into him and raise him? if your opponent did not have you beat or tied already, he has just drawn out on you unless he had specifically QJ. check and make a crying call.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:49 AM

I'm not a judge in the SS court, I'm just a law-talkin' guy. As others have pointed out, you overplayed the river. Otherwise, I think you played it fine.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:06 AM

Anytime you flop the ignorant end of a straight, you have to jam it hard on the flop ... while also knowing that it won't take much to beat you, if you aren't drawing dead already.

When it's capped on the flop, the thought of a set or a bigger straight should already be creeping into your mind. Once he raises the turn when a complete blank hits, you've got to respect a bigger straight with this many cards in the playing zone. Not considering a bigger straight here is disastrous. You gotta ease up here.

Your river play was atrocious, especially once the board paired with two other players still in the pot. I'd say between the turn and river, you cost yourself five BBs.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:39 AM

When you get raised on the turn, I think you have to slow down.

After the board pairs on the river, you have a check and call at best.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:54 AM

Thanx for all the responses folks.

I guess I got blinded by my hand and the fact that some of these players would play this way with A high [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jim