Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Ultra-Tight

I know that almost every book and every plyer says that you make a lot of money in the loose passive games by playing suited connectors. I just havent found them to be all that profitable. I know, i could just be on a bad streak, but anyway. There are nights where i dont play anything worse than TJ, and usually i win. And there are nights where i play suited connects, and get busted. I play them in late, after everyone is in, but either miss the flop and fold, or miss the draw and lose a bunch going to the river with it. I usually only hit nut draws (Two suited big cards, so i can hit top pair on the turn or river) I'd rather be the 2-1 fav. with the top pair vs the draws. It gets paid the same. Just stupid? or some sense? And am i losing THAT much by not playing them?
Old 10-08-2003, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Ultra-Tight

Probably not.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:38 PM

One thing you are losing is that it makes it much easier for an observant opponent to put you on a hand.

Lost Wages
Old 10-08-2003, 06:03 PM

I think it depends on how loose the games you are playing in are. If you have most of the table seeing not only the flop, but the turn, then I think you are losing some yes. Otherwise no.

If you have 5/7 people seeing the Turn card then I don't think playing exclusively "top pair good kicker" is all that great a strategy.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:24 PM

Remember that the draws that you are playing will go nowhere, frequency-wise, way more often than they will hit. But if you play them wisely (i.e. according to the actual and implied pot odds), the money you will make on them when they do hit will put you ahead in the long-run.

However, you may well have a losing session when your draws are failing more often than probability would predict. It's at those times that you need to remember that you are in the midst of one, long session, which hopefully will last for many happy and healthy years [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2003, 01:52 AM

This probably ins't a very popular view, but I think suited connectors are overrated by most low limit players. I definitely wouldn't recommend that you stop playing them all together, but I think a lot of players play them from out of position or for a raise way too often.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:11 AM

I think a lot of players play them from out of position or for a raise way too often

Guilty as charged.

One of my cardinal sins is to limp with medium suited connectors in early position expecting the rest of the table to limp in like normal.

Then I end up getting horrible pot odds when either the table inexplicably tightens up for that hand and it folds practically to the blinds. Or someone one or two seats to my right has A's or K's wired, raises it and likewise clears out the hands in the pot.

Worse, is I'll often call this raise.

- Groove
Old 10-09-2003, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worse, is I'll often call this raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
If there is only one bet back to you, you should be calling. Limping in and then folding to a raise preflop is the wrong play most all of the time.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:06 PM

Well no one really answered my question. It was playing big off suit cards in late when many players are already in. specifically AJ AT KJ KT QT, and maybe even AQ, all offsuit. Is it worth a limp?
Old 10-16-2003, 02:56 PM

What you are effecting is your deviation. Playing anything off suit in a multiway pot means you are going to win less with the hand because you can not flop a flush. Not flopping a flush or a solid flush draw makes your big cards pay off less often than if they were suited.

If you are comfortable leaving the game down many many BB, knowing you played well, and you can afford it, it will balance out and you will make money in the long run. There is also the effect it has on you, can you play well under those conditions?