Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 01:48 PM

Default How weak is this?

I'm sure I messed this up on many levels, Please help. $5 Rebuy NLHE Tourney on UB. 2 1/2 hours into tourney, top 30 pay, approx 60 players left, and avg. stack is approx 12k. Blinds are 300/600 and I'm in BB with T13970. UTG is a very well respected tourney player at UB. Always near or at the top of monthly tourney rankings. Anyway, he has T17570 and raises to T1800. Folded to me and I reraise to 3000 w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG calls and we see a flop of 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet T1000 (probably a mistake, what should I bet here?). He calls. Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet T600 and again he calls. River is Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I check, he checks. What the hell does he have and how'd I end up here? I'll post results and my thoughts later. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:36 PM

Default Re: How weak is this?

Out of position with AJo doesn't thrill me. I fold and wait for a better spot to get my chips in. I can't tell how the betting went--more detail would be nice, but with a limper plus the blinds left, I think your sharky friend has something of a hand here. Did UTG fold on the flop? From what you've posted here, I put the shark on a medium pocket pair, maybe 9's or 10's.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:45 PM

Sorry this wasn't clear. UTG was the shark. He open raised utg and it was folded to me in BB. When the flop came it was 2 handed.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM

I don't think AJo is a very good reraising hand, out of position against a UTG player. Now if the raise had come from late position and was a likely steal I might feel differently, but still, this is not a great place to get involved for a lot of chips.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 PM

oooooh. I definitely don't want to re-raise here. He's definitely got a hand, most likely one that's better than yours. AQ, AK, 1010-AA is the range I'd suspect pre-flop. From his flop and turn play I default to my earlier post(middle pocket pair). Did you consider a huge (but very dangerous) raise to try to steal it?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:05 PM

Default RESULTS

When UTG raised I thought there was a good chance it was an attempt to steal. He was getting a lot of respect from the table after another player outted him as a very strong player. He was playing very tight and would generally limp or min raise to get action. About every third orbit he would make a bigger raise, which I thought were his most likely steal hands. This is why I popped him back preflop. I thought that if he was on a steal he would fold to a reraise and if he really had a hand he would come back over the top hard and I could get out. This would be typical of how he was playing. When he called I put him on a big A or medium PP. Fast forwarding to the showdown he was actually holding K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. That's why I posted this hand. Turns out he was badly dominated but called a reraise preflop. Called a flop bet. Called a min bet after he hit on the turn, and checked after me on the river. Am I missing something or is it likely he was as confused as me?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:36 PM

If he had one of these hands why did he never reraise me?
Old 10-02-2003, 03:40 PM

Having to call $1200 on a $5100 pot preflop, he should at least call with anything. And then he hung around on the flop due to the small bet you made.

I agree he played it fairly safe once he hit top pair, but he was probably thinking only a better hand would call his bet at that point. So I don't think he was completely out of line here.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. So, if I suspect him of trying to steal and want to reraise I should raise how much? After the flop is it automatic check/fold w/ AJo and bad position?
Old 10-02-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Is this an example of my ego getting in the way of my play? I thought he was on a steal and was right, but AJo and bad position may not have been the time to push the issue. Any thoughts?
Side note: Few orbits later I am in 2nd place in tourney approx T75k on the button w/ KK. Folded to me and I make a lame min raise. Same very good player in sb pushes in and I call. He turns over QJo and flop comes Q8J. ARRGH!
Shameless self promotion: He places 7th and I take 2nd