Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 10:22 AM

Default This is happening to me all the time...

Please someone tell me at least I played this properly

Paradise $1/$2 shorthanded only 6 players...

Dealt 8d8c on the button...

Preflop, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, I call, SB completes, BB calls. 5 players see flop

Flop [ Jh 8s 9c ]

SB bets, BB calls, UTG calls, CO folds, I raise, everyone calls. 4 players see turn...

Turn [ Jh 8s 9c ] [ 5h ]

Check to me, I bet all call

River [ Jh 8s 9c 5h ] [ Td ]

SB checks, BB bets out?, UTG calls??, I call, SB folds.

BB shows [ Qc 7d ]
UTg shows [ 2h Qh ]

Both draw out to a str8 and kill me. Can someone tell me what the hell happened here? From the looks of it I couldn't imagine being behind at any point. QT would have raised when they flopped the str8 and I was in controll the whole way. Is this just one of those horrible things that happenes in LL?

Old 09-30-2003, 10:38 AM

Default Re: This is happening to me all the time...

Can someone tell me what the hell happened here?

Calling stations lucked out.

I couldn't imagine being behind at any point.

You weren't until the river.

Is this just one of those horrible things that happenes in LL?

Stop thinking like this. You want people to play this way against you. You will profit immensely from these games.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:48 AM

Perfect play is no guarentee that you will win a hand. Playing better than your opponents means you will see a profit in the long run, doesn't mean that you won't hit a few bumps. If bad play never won any hands you would have no fish.

That said, to cope when bad beat after bad beat come up I suggest that you bring a Buzzard or a Possum with you to the tables from now on.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, to cope when bad beat after bad beat come up I suggest that you bring a Buzzard or a Possum with you to the tables from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

That made me really laugh. I'm not even sure what it means, but it was still funny as hell... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 07:20 PM

From their point of view they had a gutshot and a poor overcard on the flop with 6-1 and then 7-1 on the calls assuming no raise. This is very marginal (and would not be my choice) but if they thought the game was passive it might be worth the risk on implied odds.

The 5h gives a double belly gutshot and a flush draw to add to their previous "outs" so they are calling the turn bet for sure.

They got lucky on the river.

You could do little else.

You destroyed their implied odds on the flop by raising; well done.

Maybe you could have raised preflop and got the BB out and at the same time punished (possibly) UTG for coming in with such rubbish UTG. Although he may have suspected a 7 way non raised pot was likely [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

But after that there was little you could do except make a 20-20 hindsight fold on the river.

If you worry about these things you will drive yourself mad!

All you can ever do is play good poker. If the opponents play bad poker you will win. Maybe not today; but in the end.

The gamblers "edge" for better players is small but DEFINITE. However, in the short term luck is the most important factor. No one can control that!

Just keep playing well and wait for the chips to slide your way when the poker gods decide it is your day.

Trevor

Old 09-30-2003, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both draw out to a str8 and kill me. Can someone tell me what the hell happened here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure. After the flop, this is a hand you should expect to lose about one out of six times. This was the one.

Were you expecting to win everytime?