Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2003, 02:12 AM

Default Paradise 5 max 10-20: Weakly played QQ

I have just joined the table. All players previously unfamilar. They are aggressive, two are way too loose. I have played about 5 rounds and am playing tight.

I have Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG and open raise. LAG cold calls, unknown button 3 bets. SB and BB call. I just call.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB bets, BB calls, I raise, everybody calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Checked to me. I check. My reasoning was if someone has a flush, they will raise and I will have to call it with my Queen high draw. The "checking hand with outs concept". All check.

River is the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet. Only the button calls.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 AM

Default Results and my thoughts

Queens good. I regret not capping BTF. Although unknown, the button's three bet in this game could mean a big hand, or it could be something like 88 or ATs, or worse. I know I got everyone else beat. I thought maybe I will disguise my hand, but why? I am not in good position to check-raise the flop to confront the field with 2 bets, and a pre-flop raise gets the money in guaranteed. If the three bet comes from my right, I can consider not capping, but not doing so here was really bad.

On the turn, maybe I was too quick to put someone on diamonds. I was giving these guys some respect since I am new to the 10-20 after crushing the lower 5-max tables. It turns out, they were just LAGs who chased.

JV has posted that he doesn't put players on flush draws that quickly 'cause they never have them. I think this attitude would serve me well, as on a couple of other hands, I got a little passive.

FWIW, I love the 5 max tables, I am up 4 grand in my first 4 weeks, and I played 20-40 short at B&M and had much more confidence. I have also read the archives back to last February, and would like to thank cero, Ikke (the man), JV, strip quez (sp?), Tewell and everyone else for their insights. and of course, the Academy. I think the archive here is the definitive work on shorthanded poker, since there is not much in the books, and its a relatively "new", mostly internet thing. Thanks guys! I owe you (not a acknowledgment of an actual monetary debt).
Old 09-30-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Paradise 5 max 10-20: Weakly played QQ

how well you played it is partly dependant on who you were playing against - not capping pre-flop isnt a crime in my view but i would of bet the turn

i find this school variable - there are 4-5 regular sharks together with some bored 20/40 players who are sometimes ok at shorthanded and sometimes not - i am selective about when i play in this school although frequently the games are very good (contrary to lots of talk about how tough paradise has become)
Old 10-01-2003, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Results and my thoughts

Lol. When I saw you check the turn, I decided you're checkraising.
I think that you should have bet the turn and I think you've figured that out long ago. I don't think not capping it preflop is a big mistake unless you're getting 3-bet often.

FWIW, congrats on your results. The 5-max tables on Paradise are often no joke. I've had decent results there, but that's all. I know there's some very good players there.

The 6 max tables on Party, however, are an entirely different animal.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:57 AM

Oooh Anatta, need to bet that overpair in a short game, even with three suited cards on the board.

Bob
Old 10-03-2003, 05:30 AM

Preflop and flop you played fine (although capping
QQ preflop shorthanded is no crime).

The "checking hand with outs concept"

Most of the time I have a hand with lots of outs, this
is just a better reason to bet...I do understand
your a little worried about the flush on turn,
but: #1) you pretty sure the button doesnt have a flush,
since the preflop raiser would likely 3 bet flop
with flush draw..So this cuts down the opp's
that may have a flush to two.

#2) If you bet you may or may not have outs
here..I just think its worth betting to charge the
str draws, and overcards (and players with a pair).
You shouldnt mind being raised as much when you have
outs. Your concept is somewhat backwards in this situation/particular game. You still
have a made hand that is likely best..Use this concept when
its more likely your beat.

If both your Q's were black, you'd have a sure bet,
and probably fold to a raise (opponent dependent).

Also if I were playing against tough opp's and
got that much action on the flop, I might consider
checking..But paradise 5/10, Id bet.

One more thing, If I were first to act, I would
probably check as a J will usually bet and you
dont risk a free card.