Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2003, 11:24 AM

Default I got trapped! Could I have avoided this?

Live sit and go $20 buy-in, winner take all. We're down to 4 players, I'm 2nd in chips with 1,500. Chip leader sits to my right and has about 2,400. Blinds are 100/200 and I'm BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG folds, button folds, SB (chip leader) calls, I check.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Chip leader checks, I check.

Turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Chip leader checks, I bet 200, he calls.

River is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet 400, he goes all-in, I call and he turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Flame away! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: I got trapped! Could I have avoided this?

Well I'd say his all in raise on the river was your only clue. You could have folded at that point but I don't think many would have. Early in a tourney I would have folded it but late I would have been in the same boat as you.

Jim
Old 09-29-2003, 01:10 PM

check the river, you gain nothing by betting that mediocre 2 pair. His call on the turn would certainly clue me into him having a hand. It looks like your betting the flush, yet hes got the nuts.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:43 PM

U have straight and flush possibilities on the board. Two pair is not a strong hand with both of these possibilities and certainly not strong enough to bet the rest of your stack on.

I'd play this hand very cautiously after the flush/straight card hits on the turn.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:14 PM

I agree with the esteemed knight, SirFoldsALot. Betting out on the river is unlikely to do much more than get you in trouble. The only hand that is going to call that isnt going to beat you is probably a pair of Ks. With the SB limping he started with at least one card that was a straight threat, maybe 2, and there is the flush threat.

Youve almost pulled into a chip tie with him without betting, so I would certainly consider checking. If he comes back with a middle bet you are probably trapped into a call anyway. If he takes you all-in I would think you can get away from the hand, with straights, flushes and K's over very real possibilities. With the chip lead he wasnt playing the flop and turn with nothing.

All in all I think he played it well, though, feeding you just enough rope to hang yourself.