Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Default online hourly rates

I was curious if some of the nl posters would be intested in submitting some of their profit / hourly rate information at some of the various limits.

I'll start. In around the last 241 hours of no limit play, starting at the .25/.50 up thorugh 2/4 now I've made about 8k or over 30.00 per hour.

Now here's another stat that's real interesting:
Over the last 14 hours at the 2/4 on Stars I've made 3500. I haven't been playing the 12 and 24 very long, but my initial experience lead me to believe that making 60k next year, playing part time while holding my day job, is quite feasible. In fact, I think without working, I could very possbily make 2k per week.

Now, I don't have enough time in to support this, so I defer to the wisdom of the posters here.

Seems like a lot to talk about here, so i hope I can get a good discussion started.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-27-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Re: online hourly rates

Sklanksky did his $100k per game without including NL. Mason says NL will die out because of the advanced player advantage. My maths is limit before advanced stats. but it seems the win rate and SD of NL mean losing sessions are less while win rate is huge.

After 4 months the most i have dropped is 4 buy ins, that could have included a tilt or a new types of plays that i was trying.

I think NL would be a lot easier to make a career at than limit. I'd go as far as saying it would be an easy learning for a high paid job when comparing to college years for the equal pay.

Don't jump right in the deep end, test out the temperature first if you plan a living.

Sidenote: NL is hugely player dependant, i emptied my account at a site due to my slow win rate compared to other sites. If you find juicey NL games you are sitting on a winning lotto ticket.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:34 PM

Figure wise.

Virtual City i'm $8k up over 3 months of NL at 1/2 and 2.5/5 only because of the soft games.

Ladbrokes i'm $900 up over 2 weeks because of small player errors by them and my mild tilt because of playing lower limits than i am used to.

I average 8 hours per day for each and every day. Games stakes, if we were to average were i have played most, it would average around $400 buy in stakes, i.e. more 2.5/5 than 1/2.

Ladbrokes is either 1/2 or some (mild) 1.5/3 ($300 buy in). The tight games bore me more than the win rate. Plus my small bankroll.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:39 AM

Jay,
Thanks for the reply. I'm definetly not going to quit my day job anytime soon. I'd want around 30 to 100k will all debts paid, and at least 2000 hours of records and a well-defined plan.

I have my doubts about no limit drying up. Online nl holdem is currently going very strong. I think the max-buy-in rule may be an effective way to help limit the losses of weaker players, to a large extent. With online options as low as .01/.02, no limit offers a large variety online options. As far as live games are concerned, i would think the recent popular will cause many persons to seek live games. I defer to Mason and others speculation that it will eventually dry up, with the reccomendation of using the online innovation of a max buy-in.

Finally, As far as the flucuations and the relative relationships between limit and no limit in winning rates, I defer to the posters here for this issue. I definetley do feel it's a good idea to diversify one's game quite a bit. Once my bankroll hits 30k, I plan to play and spend more time with limit. I've played a lot of limit but not much too high.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:04 AM

"If you find juicey NL games you are sitting on a winning lotto ticket."

Jay,
This merits a response becuase I think I've found this lottery ticket. It's called online poker. When I started playing the no limit and realized the success and opportunity there, well, I'm still in awe.

As far as soft no limit games. As far as i can tell, there's no shortage of them online at this time.

Pokerstars and Party are prime examples.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:12 AM

Got to agree with that. I don't think I've ever seen a tough online game.

Guy.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:49 AM

I can't see NL ever dying out online right now. People want to gamble and NL is their way to gamble.

I think the hardest game i found was the $500 buy in at ladbrokes. It wasn't tough, but it was a slow grind.

I've gone back to playing 5/10 limit at the moment, just for game theory mostly, i feel limit is a lot harder than NL too.

I'm going to troll over to party poker today though.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:13 AM

if you're around on UB at the wrong time (i.e. whenever devilfish is playing) there can be some really tough tables.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:00 AM

I've never played no limit online except in tourneys but the limit games i play at ultimate are tougher due to people willing to stay in for the "it's just one more bet theory" so the blinds will always defend and people will call you down all the way hoping to catch and usually do....Ex. flop K 5 3 i have AK and bet ....turn 7.....river 3......guy beats you with Q 3......i'm sure this would happen less in no limit with bigger bets..
Old 09-28-2003, 01:16 PM

... those are the easiest games to beat. Not tough. They are the games most people look for. That does happen in NL too.