Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 11:52 PM

Default Fun with tight aggressive players

Party Poker 3/6

Unlike last night, all my big hands tonight were played against tight aggressive players (TAP). I think I made some big mistakes here. Flame away.

Hand 1

Very TAP (boderline rock) raises UTG, Unknown player in MP calls, TAP in SB makes it 9, I cap it in the BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], everyone calls. 4 players to the flop.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, UTG 3-bets, MP folds, SB Folds, I have the urge to fold, but call.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check-call

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check-call

Hand 2

I raise UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], folded to TAP in SB who calls, BB calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, SB check-raises, BB folds, I 3-bet, SB caps, I call

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call.

River: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, SB calls.

Hand 3

TAP player UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, folded to me in the SB, I call with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG calls, UTG+1 raises, UTG+2 calls, I 3-bet, UTG calls, UTG+1 caps, all call.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, checked around. (When will I learn)

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG raises, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, I call.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Fun with tight aggressive players

I think you lost all 3. Here's what I think you lost to:

Hand #1: KK (AA 2nd choice)
Hand #2: AA (Your river raise is awful)
Hand #3: QQ (KJs second choice)
Old 09-26-2003, 01:52 AM

A newbie guess:

1) lost to bigger pocket pair
2) lost to boat
3) won over opponent with AK

Old 09-26-2003, 02:05 AM

Here's my view.
1) You lost to wired K's
2)You lost to K-9s, the cap on the flop screams 2pr.
3)You lost to a straight, but you probably had UTG+1 beat. I would put him on 2pr or big slick. Either way, you probably have to see it down with trips. I don't fault you for that.

Normally I would have guessed that you won at least one, but the tone of your message gave it away. The moral here is, beware of the EP TAP, especially if they raise. If they just limp, they probably have suited connector or AA.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:12 PM

Here is what I would do:
hand 1. I would just cold call PF, you are not likely to thin the field by capping but giving your hands away. But I think raise here is fine too. If you think UTG is TAG and will raise only with JJ QQ KK AA & AK (he is unlikely to have AK from the flop play), check and fold on the turn. You can only tie with QQ at the turn.
Hand 2. I would call the river unless you feel you delay the turn raise. If you are behind on the flop, you are still behind on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Hand 3. I guess UTG is slowing playing his AA or QQ. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
just my opinion.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Results

Boy you guys are pessimistic. I actually won 2 out of 3.

In the first hand UTG had KK. I need to call his raise on the flop because of the pot size, but should I trust my read and fold on the Turn?

In hand two, I noticed that my opponent sometimes took the aggression too far. With most players capping the flop would mean two pair. The raise on the river was probably still bad. My opponent had KQ.

In hand 3, I should have just bet out on the turn. After it was checked around on the turn, I was conviced that my hand was good, but I couldn't bring myself to re-raise. Both opponents had AQ.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:34 PM

Default A hand-reading question

Out of curiosity, why did you guess KK instead of AA in Hand 1?

Aces McGee