Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Burned by the Sloooooooooow play

1 table SNG at UB, low buy-in, and an environment in which I normally do very well (70-80% ROI). I hit a monster flop earlier and doubled up to approximately T2000. I have added a few chips since then, but have more or less the same stack. Most others at the table (and in this hand) are still close to T1000.

So I get A4o in the cutoff, blinds are still 10/20 or 15/30, so I decide to limp in after 2 limpers. Let me say right now that I deserve to be flamed for this, but decided to do it anyway. Button comes along, as do SB and BB.

Flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Checked to EP, who has been making small bets at numerous pots so far this game, often folding when anyone shows resistance, bets 30. Called by MP, I call, and 2 more come along for the ride. Feel free to flame me here too, but I figured I could wait for the 5 for the low, low price of T29.99. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Turn is the not-as-lovely-as I would hope: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Checked to EP again, who bets 30 again. Called around again. I figure I don't want to push my straight here, as there could still be a snake lurking in the grass somewhere.

River: rag.

Again, EP bets 30, MP calls, and the bet gets to me. I think maybe my straight is good. I raise the Pot, which is 440 at the time. Folded to EP, who re-raises all-in (another 400 or so).

I make the crying call (should I have just mucked here?) and watch him turn over A6d.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. 2 hands later, on TILT, I raise the pot PF (about 150) with AKd and get called by the button. Flop comes 579 with 2 hearts. I bet pot (about 400) get re-raised all-in (again, I know I'm beat) and call, on UBERTILT at this point.

Button turns over 68h for the flopped straight and flush draw. Oops.

Once again, from hero to ZERO in 3 hands. Man do I love tournaments!
Old 09-25-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Burned by the Sloooooooooow play

Don't limp with crap, raise open-ended straight draws on the river and then call a re-raise with nothing but a pair of 4s.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:17 PM

read the comments, he means A3o
Old 09-25-2003, 06:33 PM

He posted a fairly worthless hand for no reason and didn't bother to get it right, so I returned the courtesy.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:40 AM

Bad day?
Old 09-26-2003, 01:44 AM

Correct indeed. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2003, 01:02 PM

Yup. Sorry for my rudeness, but I read your post and thought, WTF, this is worthless. I was out of line, my apologies.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure I don't want to push my straight here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you do want to push your straight here. You have the probable best hand and anyone with one diamond is drawing very live against you.

[ QUOTE ]
as there could still be a snake lurking in the grass somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the point in proteting yourself against a possible flush on the turn if you're going to pay it off on the river?
Old 09-27-2003, 12:56 PM

nothing you did on this hand helped you. you weren't burned by a slow play per se, you just ran into the nuts.

preflop: you should have folded.
on flop, you should have maybe semi-bluff bet
on turn, with possible flush, fold or call a small bet.
river rag: next time, try walking into a brick wall. it's cheaper.

i don't mean offence, just trying to make light of the situation. but there are a couple holes in your game, i guess people have to pay to learn like most everyone else.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:35 AM

This post really has me thinking about going to UB. With play like this you make a 70% ROI. How many tournaments have you played to get this figure?

I'd somehow always thought UB had good players so I stayed where the fish were but tonight I'm going to check out UB.