Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 10:22 AM

Default 20-40 Hand

I have ace,three of hearts and am in the big blind. 4 mid position limpers to the small blind who raisaes to $40, I call as do the other limpers and 6 players take the flop. Flop is 3 threes and the rest is history. Small blind slams down his pocket queens and goes into a tirade about how can I call his raise. Of course I didn't respond because at the time I thought my call was correct, but now I'm not so sure. I would like anybodys thoughts on this hand.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM

Default Re: 20-40 Hand

Let's see here, 20*4=80 + 40 + 20 [your bb] = 140 already in the pot, 20 to you, and you assume all the limpers are going to call the raise as well. That would make 220 in the pot with you calling 20. I'd make an 11:1 pot odds call to see what the flop brings, in your shoes.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:31 AM

The pocket Q's guy was obviously pretty annoyed and marked you as bad player to make himself feel a little better.

I definitly would take the raise, while sitting on the BB with your cards. Hey, it's just one more small bet to go in a big tank. I say if you fold here, you should look for another game than poker. The hand is perfect for a multitude of players, if you got that one, you want as many players as possible be in. Surely you're more counting on a flush than flopped three's, but sometimes lady fortune just smiles at us.

In the end I just say, I wouldn't cold call two bets preflop with this hand. The only exception is being on SB or BB, where you can go into the tank cheaply, if raised.

So in my eyes you played it allright!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:11 PM

If you don't anticipate a re-raise behind you, this is an easy call.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:25 PM

I'm no high-stakes player, so I'll leave the correctness of the call to others (my 50c/1.00 judgment is that it's probably okay).

But on the psychology of it, I think the fact that you beat him with quad 3s is what upset this guy. If you had won with the flush, my guess is that he'd be a lot less upset. He probably didn't even notice that your A3 was suited.

Aces McGee
Old 09-24-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Do you look like Tommy?

Seriously, even Tommy would have called here.