Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Varying your Game - Mason

I was reading Mason's Poker Essays II, and came across the Poker Skills essays (anyone who got the book, knows what i mean). Anyway, In part two, he lists skills from #1 priority to #12 priority in different games. I agree with the low limit hold em list, as ive been winning low limits and i feel i have those strengths. Anyway the skill of "Varying your play" is up high on the middle limi Considering i play mainly low limits, i know i shouldn't really vary my play too much, knowing that my opponents dont observe me as much as middle limit players would (Im generalizing). So, I was just asking how to vary my play, maybe a couple of plays of your own might get me started. Also, would these plays even be worth practicing at lower limits? Considering most opponents are unaware and not as sophisticated?
Eric
PS. Mason, I'd love feedback from you on this.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Varying your Game - Mason

So, I was just asking how to vary my play, maybe a couple of plays of your own might get me started.

Instead of betting out, go for a check raise. Instead of check raising the flop, check raise the turn.

Instead of calling with pockets 9's from a suspicious raiser,three bet.

Vary your play so you do not play ultra predictable, however dont fall into the fancy player syndrome.

If your opponents do not pay attention, then play straight forward ABC poker. Only vary your play against thinking opponents.

~mg~

Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponents do not pay attention, then play straight forward ABC poker. Only vary your play against thinking opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the simple answer.

Mason was making an assumption the middle limit players do pay attention and consider what cards you are holding.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:48 PM

Mason was making an assumption the middle limit players do pay attention and consider what cards you are holding.

Correct, and the poster asked about small stakes and low limit games. In those games against unthinking opponents the poster doesnt need to vary his game. It might get him in trouble or cause him to lose a few bets.

I did give some examples of how he can vary his play post flop.

~mg~
Old 09-23-2003, 07:52 PM

Occasionally raise preflop with a hand that you might not ordinarily raise. The hand should be suited. Try raising a hand like JTs or A4s after a couple of limpers. Also, you can occasionally open the pot (with a raise) with a suited hand that you might usually fold.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 AM

"Mason was making an assumption the middle limit players do pay attention and consider what cards you are holding."

That, I think, is a dangerous assumption to make, although for the purpose of a poker essay I can see its merit. In any case, a player who makes the appropriate adjustments for changing table conditions should end up varying his play enough to keep his opponents sufficiently off-balance without having to go out of his way. The table gets loose, you limp with 88; the table gets tight, you raise. And so on...
Old 09-24-2003, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the input
However, I know not to do it against players who dont pay attention. I've heard the raise with suited cards as a ploy, but what to do when you miss the flop, and its something like Jack high, after you raise with say, 89 suited? continue to bet, or back off? I would assume bet, considering most would with a hand like AK. But what then about the turn? I guess what im saying is, when you pull off a play, what to do with it when you miss? give up? Wouldnt that make your play useless, considering no one sees your hand? And I dont believe in showing my cards when im not called, even if do got the goods or if i pulled off a bluff.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:03 PM

Vary your play on all streets, not just pre-flop.

If you have check raised the flop three times in a row, lead out the next time. If you have check raised the turn, attempt to bet out.

Vary your play so you do not appear predictable. Sometimes you will slow play, sometimes you will play fast.

I wouldnt worry about it too much at the lower limits.

~mg~
Old 09-24-2003, 09:07 PM

Before I say this, understand that I believe Essays II is a terrific book written by a great logical thinker.

I think Mason's puts too much emphasis on varying your play without qualifying it.

1.) You only need to vary your play if you play with some of the same people on a regular basis, and then only if they are in the game at hand.

2.) Varying your play goes to your image. You do not neccessarily need to change your play, only your opponents perception of it.

Of course, you shouldn't do the same thing in every similar situation. But that's becuase every poker situation has variables which always differ. Usually it correct to raise your overpair on the flop, but not always. Even in hindsight, you might never know if your play was correct, no matter who you ask. There are just too many variables which are too arguable (ie. how much on tilt an opponent is). But if you make the play you feel is right at the time, you will not only be varying your play to confuse opponents, you will be making the play which has the highest ev (hopefully). And that is way more important.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:44 PM

You won't get to showdown every hand where you make a play preflop. Don't make stupid plays postflop just so you can show your hand down.