Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2003, 05:34 AM

Default dumbest move i have ever seen in a tournament

party $50 tourney. pay to 30, 31 left.

UTG, the tourney's shortest stack, puts in his last 300 chips. (blinds are 150/300) guy in late position with 904 chips proceeds to push all-in with K9o. later position with AQ subsequently reraises and takes down the sidepot on a ragged board, with the 300 chip stack taking the main pot with his 88.

i've seen stupid plays in a tourney before, but this one (K9o) definitely takes home my prize. if he wants to increase the chances of the all in losing, why not flat call, and fold if someone makes a big raise? does he really think K9o is worth a value all in bet here? did he just assume the all-in would lose and decided that he wanted to get out of the tournament ASAP as soon as he got in the money?

anyone else want to nominate a stupider tournament play, go ahead and do so. after all, isn't that what these boards are for?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:17 AM

Default Re: dumbest move i have ever seen in a tournament

I got a story to tell about a way dumber move.

E-WSOP 2002, down to 3handed, first prize: 74000€. Chipleader (CL) has about 630k, our hero about 320k and 3rd about 40k. Blinds were something like 3k/6k, ante 1k. Hero had beeen playing ultra aggressive since 3handed, raising and reraising about 80% of the hands and moved his stack up from 100k to 320k. It was obvious that 3rd player had to do something shortly or would be blinded away (since this player is a world class player, being blinded away wasn´t too likely). Now this hand came up.

3rd player mucked on the button, CL raised up to 20k, hero called with Ks5s. Flop came J75 rainbow. CL bet 60k, hero thinks a very short time and moves all in, risking all his chips and a pretty likely 2nd place (with a shot at 1st) with a marginal holding against the chipleader. CL thought a bit and then called, showing QQ.

Well, I think regarding serious money being involved this qualifies for an extraordinary stupid move. OK, you might say that even 74k € isn´t serious money for some players, but I know for a fact that it was (is) serious money for our hero since it was me.

Well, good thing in poker is that everybody can get lucky, so in the above hand the turncard 5 gave me trips and I managed to win that hand (and tourney). But still it was an extraordinarily stupid move (I had a read on CL but was obviously wrong. OK, this happens. But it simply must not happen when there is 1 player so low on chips as the 3rd player).

Ever since I´m no more allowed to complain about a bad beat [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Well, on the other side there were even 1000 times worse moves made at the final tables of the WSOP championchip event last and this year. I´m thinking about the AJ call last year and the declining of a 50/50 split heads up this year. Compared to this decissions my decission seems even a smart one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 09-14-2003, 12:49 PM

I've seen dumber moves on a dry side pot dozens of times.

How about the guy who semi-bluffed with 54o and a board of 78KK against one all-in and a big stack? He's got 4 outs that are likely good, but probably NOTHING else to win against the all-in player, and he semi-bluffs all-in on the turn. That's the worst I recall at the moment. But I've seen this so many times, and I've yet to believe it was collusion. Just stupidity.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-14-2003, 01:57 PM

In this same $50 buyin a guy called for his entire stack with a 9 on a KQJT board...so dumb
Old 09-14-2003, 09:25 PM

I'll nominate myself. I was playing in one of my first Sit n gos on paradise -- I think it was for $50. It was early in the tournament and there were about 4-5 players seeing the flop which comes up 3 A's. There was some betting preflop so there was about 1/3 of my stack in the pot. Two checks to me and I decide to go all-in (I don't remember what I had but I was doing it to represent the A). Next thing I know the guy next to me writes something like 'you got to be kidding me!' and follows me all-in. Of course he had the A! I felt like a complete idiot.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:29 PM

$50 SnG, paid top 3, four players left. Chip leader(CL), T5000. Second place(SP), T2400. Third place(TP), T560. fourth player(FP), T40.
CL is the BB, TP is SB. Blind is 150/300. SP UTG raise to 600. FP fold, TP fold. CL call.
Flop
Kc Js 5c
CL check. SP bet 300. CL call.
Turn
7c
CL Bets T1500. SP calls allin
River rag.
CL win with Q4c. SP out in fourth place with red Queens.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:24 AM

This would be at the August 2003 50+10 NL tournament that occurs once a month at Canterbury Card Club. At the point when two tables merged into one, a guy with ONE chip left was lucky enough to draw a seat one from the button. Now understand, before his blinds would be coming, FOUR people did not have enough chips to make it through both the blinds. This guy, however, second hand in, opts to throw his lone chip in with AK. He WAS lucky enough to drag the side pot. However, the VERY next hand, even with UTG raising all in, this guy decides ATs is worthy of his THREE chips, and once again throws them in... This time however, he loses and costs himself a likely two additional places up the ladder... Easily a 500-1000 dollar difference in pay. Just moronic.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:59 AM

You may have FELT like an idiot, but you weren't necessarily an idiot. If there was a reasonable chance they all fold, then your bet is a good one.

Now, here's the guy next to you typing in the comment, and probably thereby killing any chance of getting the overcall from somebody else who might have a decent pocket pair and be suspicious. He probably doesn't get the overcall anyway, but why not take his time before calling, and hope somebody gets out of line? He was the idiot that hand, more so than you.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 09-15-2003, 10:17 AM

I nominate this one! 2 weeks ago I was playing in an Act II single table satellite at FW. We're down to the final 2 players and I have about T12000 and my opponent T8000. Blinds are something like 600/1200. Ist hand my opponent is the SB/Button and he limp calls. I got a big ace and I raise all in. He folds. 2nd hand I'm the SB/Button and now I got a small suited ace, A,3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I raise all in again. My opponent calls me fast and we turn our hands up. He's got 2,3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I thought it was the worst play I've ever seen. No, he didn't outdraw me and I won the satellite. This win got me into an Act III super satellite where they gave out 11 seats for the big fall $10,000 buy-in tourney that will be on the travel channel and I was fortunate enough to get one of the seats. The biggest tourney I've have ever played in was a $500 buy-in, so I'm on cloud nine right now!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:19 PM

Ok if this wasn't collusion then it was the dumbest play I've ever seen. PokerStars satellite. Top 18 get a set to the 200 buy-in. Down to 19 players. Small stack raises all-in and gets called by two medium-large stacks. Flop comes A 8 5. One on the medium-large stacks makes a pot sized bet and the other folds. The medium-large stack turns over 2 3.